Home Made Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I will probably get some comments on being Cheap but I built my own Roof rack and Gutter mounts. I think it turned out pretty good and it is sturdy to boot. I have around $200 in it plus the time it took. Here are some pics...

20200804_195255.jpg
20200804_195005.jpg

Looks good. I agree, half the fun is building stuff myself. Wheres the sense of accomplishment when we just take something out of a box? Looks great!

What kind of tubing did you use? I've heard a "easy" route is using electrical conduit

I did use 3/4 emt and it was pretty easy overall. It is all bolted/screwed together and I was a little sceptical on the strength of the rack. Turns out it is very rigid and will do what it is intended for.

Looks good! I want to make one for mine. How did you make the gutter mounts?

Looks good! I want to make one for mine. How did you make the gutter mounts?

I made them out of 2" wide 1/8" thick flat bar each cut to around 6" in length and bent in a vice to the proper angle (not sure, didn't measure the angle). I used 1/8" thick C channel cut to about 2" to match the width of the flat bar. I cut one side of the C Channel flat and left the other for the lip of the Gutter. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the C Channel and a 1/2" hole in the Flat bar (the difference in the hole size will allow for adjustment when clamping to the Gutter). A 3/8" 1" long bolt is used to attach the C channel to the flat bar. I cut Unistrut to around 3" long and attached it to the top of the flat bar with a short bolt and a longer bolt so it will add support to the bracket This way all of the weight of the rack and contents are not on the gutter. (see pics) repeat this 5 more times for a total of 6. I figure 8 would be overkill but you could add them for your application.

20200815_123958.jpg

20200815_124105.jpg

20200815_124110.jpg

20200815_124122.jpg

20200815_124150.jpg

I made mine also, I think that’s half of the fun!!

I made mine also, I think that’s half of the fun!!

Looks Great! Like the wood approach.

Great roof rack. Those homemade gutter clamps are outstanding. They want a mint for pre-made ones. Not to hijack here, but I have used that unistrut/superstrut stuff for all sorts of projects. I don't have a quality welder or skills enough to use it, so I usually end up having to use ready made stuff and bolt it all together. Just finished a tire carrier on my Bantam trailer using that stuff. Possibilities are endless:

IMG_5576.jpg
IMG_5606.jpg
IMG_5578.jpg
IMG_5579.jpg

IMG_5605.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done, LimuEmu!
Nothing better than building yourself an addition for the best vehicle ever made!
Heres my rack, made it from the segmented floorboards of a Mk V zodiac HD, bits of aluminum
4B88DC77-310A-45DB-B1DE-43B0E9502A6C.jpeg
and a bunch of stainless steel I had.
Its a great platform for carrying, sleeping or deck-chairing, and Its a nice safari roof, keeps the crusher (and the dog) much cooler in the sun!

That is a great platform/Rack Roalco. Nice use of what you had! I was contemplating a platform for a RTT but I decided I am getting too old and lazy to climb onto the roof to sleep😝. So I figured I would use the basket more than a platform. I was also thinking of putting my spare tire up there but I think I am going to build a swing out tire carrier instead. I acquired some 2x2 1/4 square tubing for free and my father in law handed down a perfectly good Lincoln 125plus mig welder that he replaced with a Miller. All I had to do was replace the welding whip since it was damaged. Ready for the next project...

I know I will probably get some comments on being Cheap but I built my own Roof rack and Gutter mounts. I think it turned out pretty good and it is sturdy to boot. I have around $200 in it plus the time it took. Here are some pics...

View attachment 2403500View attachment 2403501
Sometimes I have difficulty paying someone to do/make something I can do/make myself. I'm impressed with your work.

Sometimes I have difficulty paying someone to do/make something I can do/make myself. I'm impressed with your work.

Thanks, it is holding up well. I have the spare tire up there with the Hi-Lift jack for now until I get my rear bumber with swing out tire carrier built. I just picked up 8 feet of 6 inch tall C-Channel. Man that tire and rim is heavy when throwing it into the rack!🥵

I made a full length rack using 1x1 steel tubing and with expanded metal for the "floor". I added a Hi lift jack mount on 1 side and a shovel mount on the other. I didn't consider the weight of the final product. I took 2 men (3 would have been better, 4 would have been great) to put it on top of the truck. I decided not to use it. I ended up cutting it to make a roof rack for the trailer I made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom