home brewed aal and shackles ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys i have access to a parts 60 i was thinking of stripping the main leaves from each spring pack and cutting them to make full length add a leaves ? any one think this is a good or bad idea ? also i am going to make my own shackles and was planning on adding a grease fitting where should the grease nipple(S) go . i was planning to use 3/16 " thick steel and new grade 8 bolts , i have a 80 amp mig welder and access to a 220 amp stick . i recently welded a new rear shock tube in place and so far so good . i was thinking about shackles with about 6 " eye to eye ? how much lift do you think this combo would give i would them get the toyota 16 " rims and add some new meats about 32" ers

i am guessing i should get about 3 to 4 inches .

thanks for the feed back .

I think the idea for add-a-leafs to work is that they have a greater amount of arch than the stock springs. This in effect sort of re-arcs the stock springs. Adding another stock leaf that is already flattened will probably not give you any noticeable lift.

As for the shackles, when I built mine, I made them 5.5" from bolt to bolt. This is the same length as the ConFerrs on my FJ40. They gave me enough lift to clear 33x12.50s.

Just remember that if you make the shackles 2" longer than stock, you will acheive 1" of lift. I wouldnt go over 6" from bolt to bolt, the shackles would be damn near vertical and could invert with little effort.

Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom