Home Brew Rear Tube Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Update: Plated it, added a hitch and D-rings.

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1101.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

Here's the latest progress in my rear bumper. Don't like the looks of the plate bumpers out there, so I decided to make my own. I've seen some that are similar to what I have, but not the same. It's still not finished, I need to cut it off and finish welding it up. I also need to clean up some of the bubble gum welds that I have. Then it's time to fab up some plate and receiver tube to make me a hitch. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good for my first time.

Total cost... $50!
1241097341026.jpg

1241097349451.jpg

1241097360653.jpg

1241097373058.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. Looks like about as good of a departure angle as could be had also. Good work.

looks awesome...simple and to the point

Nice job, I think it looks real nice. Is it welded directly to the frame or did you build a bracket then bolt on?
I have thought of doing something similar, but I was thinking about bringing the side tubing up to top of the cladding for a bit more protection. Any thoughts about that?

Nice job, I think it looks real nice. Is it welded directly to the frame or did you build a bracket then bolt on?
I have thought of doing something similar, but I was thinking about bringing the side tubing up to top of the cladding for a bit more protection. Any thoughts about that?

I thought about doing that, but since I don't do much rock crawling (more desert racing) I wanted it low profile, light, and simple. It would be easy to do and at one point I thought about bringing it all the way around and down the fenders to tie it into my sliders. The only problem with that is the higher you get away from where it is welded or bolted to the frame, the easier it will bend and get into the body if you put pressure on it.

It is welded directly to the frame, but could easily be made to bolt on, however, it probably wouldn't be as strong.

Update: Plated it, added a hitch and D-rings.

DSCN1099.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1101.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

DSCN1103.jpg

Here's the latest progress in my rear bumper. Don't like the looks of the plate bumpers out there, so I decided to make my own. I've seen some that are similar to what I have, but not the same. It's still not finished, I need to cut it off and finish welding it up. I also need to clean up some of the bubble gum welds that I have. Then it's time to fab up some plate and receiver tube to make me a hitch. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good for my first time.

Total cost... $50!
1241097341026.jpg

1241097349451.jpg

1241097360653.jpg

1241097373058.jpg

WOW awesome!!! Highest clearance whoo hoo!

That is very cool. I am going to steal some. well most of your ideas and build one for my 40 with a swing out spare tire carrier. that is one of the best designs I have seen IMHO. great job !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom