1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy moly, the windshield is leaking!!!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Nickslexi, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Nickslexi

Nickslexi

We had some nasty rain yesterday in Sacramento , CA. I look up at the passenger side of my rig and see drops of water coming from the windshield seal. I was blown away, that is the last thing I thought would occur. Anyone have this same problem? Any way to seal this thing up or repair the problem without R & R ing the windshield?

2. DuManchu

DuManchu

I had this same problem, some others have as well, you can find the posts by searching.

I just ran a bead of outdoor clear silicone/acrylic caulk around the outside seal and it stopped the leak. Yeah, its a bit ghetto, but its barely noticeable and much cheaper than replacing the seal/windsheld.

:cheers:

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

yep...same problem here too. I know the rain of which you speak fellow sacto resident ;)

Mine's been an issue for about a year now... :rolleyes:
    I added some silicone recently to try to stop the leaking, but I fear I must replace the windshield soon.

Mine's the original windshield from what I can tell...so...I think after 10 years, you can almost expect some degridation from the gasket or sealant...

4. mmessier2

mmessier2

Its funny.... all us Norcal people with leaks after the rain yesterday.

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

common, also many installers seam to think that no sealant is required, print out the pages from the FSM and bring them to the installer. you can also DIY see past threads.

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

You should be able to apply URETHANE sealant (not silicone) with the windshield installed if it wasn't put in with the windshield.

-Spike

7. seabeecruiser

seabeecruiser

Yeah, I had that. I bought my truck to a local glass place fearing that I would need a new seal at best and a new windshield at worst.

In the end, they just ran some urethane sealant between the seal and the windshield and charged me less than $30.:doh:

8. FJason80

FJason80

I have the same problem, but I only notice it when going through deep, muddy puddles. Last week a plow in the oncoming lane in Idaho launched a rock and left a pretty good sized crack. The great state of Idaho is fixing the problem for me.

9. Kalawang

Kalawang

I have that leak. It only appears in the heaviest monsoon rain. Normal stuff has no effect. I'm rather surprised you guys can get rain enough to make the leak show.

I haven't done anything about my leak. Genuinely heavy monsoon rain that catches me outdoors is rare.

Kalawang

10. Yotato

Yotato

Kumusta Kalawang. The rain in Sacramento gets a little heavy at times like the Philippines, but cold.

Uretrhane worked well for me on my trucks campershell with a leak.