Holy Cross/Iron Chest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.actionjackson.com
Planning the next big trail run for central CO. This summer I would like to hit up Holy Cross, Iron Chest, Chinamans and attempt Buena Vista Carnage :eek:
I have only been to Holy Cross and I hear the other 3 are close by.

It would be awesome if we could get some other cruisers out there with us. Thinking of the weekend of July 15, 16 and 17th. Depending when other people can go we may change these dates. 3 or 4 full days of some great wheeling. You can't beat Holy Cross in the summer!!

If you can only run a few of these trails with us... fine. I would rather wheel with my birfield buddies than help fix those Dana axles all day on the trail :doh:

So what say ye? Maps and more details will be posted to my Calendar page at:

http://www.actionjackson.com/cruiser/calendar.asp

:cheers:

i'd be up for a day or two

it would have to be on the weekend.
used my vaca days for moab :D

never been to holy cross yet.

there is a couple spots that i would be worried about in the fj-80 at carnage. but if you do it, props to yea. make sure you post up the pics.
47b4d605b3127cce9b500936d42300000016108BZtmTNm0ai

47b4d820b3127cce9b500883347000000016108BZtmTNm0ai

Hey steve I know this has nothing to do with the trail ride but you truck is awsome. I think it is the best built I have seen yet. But I am sure you get that a lot.

That sounds fantasic and I think I would deffinitly be up for it. I have heard Buena Vista Carnage is knarly and I dont' think my rig is ready for it just yet, but I was planning and really wanting to run holy cross soon. :grinpimp:

Let me know

Zach

my vote is for holy cross

could prolly make it up there friday night.

where's the best place to camp in that area?

Tj, is that Joes truck in the first pic??? Have not seen it in a while. Thats a great obstacle on Carnage. Fun to watch fullsizes attempt it. Oh, and our club is going to Holy Cross in September... if you feel like waiting... Sounds like a fun trip though. Have fun :cheers:
31750003c.jpg

I would be in for that trip if you guys don`t mind wheelin with a full size blazer.
My blazer 1 ton running gear,1350cv drive shafts dana60,70 5.86 gears, and 38 SX`s, is going in my 1970 FJ40 landcruiser in the fall.
I would like to put alot more body damage on my blazer before I retire it.

Last edited:
Sounds like we have plenty of ppl who are interested in at least Holy Cross. I know Carnage is nasty and is tight in some places for an 80. I may just walk it this time just to get a feel for the obstacles and film some other guys but the other 3 trails should be easy enough and should fill the entire weekend. We want to run one of the trails Friday during the day so we may run Holy Cross on Saturday when everyone can make it out. I'll try to post up some maps and info on each trail.

There are many places to camp near Holy Cross. I've seen a lot of people and clubs camp near the entrance of the trail in one of the camping spots. Other clubs camp 1/2 the way up at the river crossing. email me if you are interested in going. shawn@actionjackson.com

actionjackson

what time to start on the trail, and how long to run it?

The 1st half of Holy Cross is pretty easy. I have made it to French Creek in 30 min before which is 1/2 the way up. Total distance is 4 miles. However the real trail starts there :cool: and I'm sure it will take us a few hours to the top. If we want to hike to the lake and back up on top that will take us an hour more on time. If we start around 8am we should beat most of the other clubs who will most likely be running on Saturday. Everyone knows how busy Saturday's are :) It may take us the rest of the day just to get off the trail :confused:

TrailDamage.com always does a good job on documenting trials. Maps and info can be found here:
Holy Cross Trail Info

Here's French Creek last year when I ran up there in May.
137_3793_320.jpg

Lake up at the top: (sorry it's so wide)

I took this one in 2003 same weekend we're going :doh: Hope it's just as beautiful!

I have updated my Calendar page with all the ppl who said they wanted to go with pictures of each rig so everyone knows who's in our group when we see each other up there. Some are going to be getting their Friday night for some camping and fun in the river :rolleyes:

For everyone else we will be leaving at 8am at the trail head. So far we have 7 rigs coming. Here's the updated info:

If you want to go send me an email or pm so I can update my page. :bounce2:

my rigs a

actionjackson said:
I have updated my Calendar page with all the ppl who said they wanted to go with pictures of each rig so everyone knows who's in our group when we see each other up there. Some are going to be getting their Friday night for some camping and fun in the river :rolleyes:

For everyone else we will be leaving at 8am at the trail head. So far we have 7 rigs coming. Here's the updated info:

84 fj60 SOA tan

i'll have two knuckle headed boxers with me, oh yea. wifey and possably two kids. :D
we plan on ditching work on friday,
were do you plan on camping?

Just Got Done

actionjackson said:

checking out your web site.......

NICE JOB, GREAT VIDEOS! :cool: :cool:

Hey does anybody know if there is parking at the Holy Cross trail head (or close by)? It is looking like I'm only going to be able to make it up on saturday and I was thinking of towing my cruiser so I could get up and back quicker.

Richard

Ski Cooper is right across the street, you may be able to park there. I believe there is parking at the trail head but I can't remeber it has a been a few years since I have been up there

Absolutely plenty of parking for your trailers at the various campsites near the entrance. There is one larger campsite that I would like to snag for our group which is on the west side of the road very near the entrance. You never know if these sites will already be taken so if anyone gets there first just scout out a nice big area for everyone to camp. There is like 9 miles worth of dirt road until the trail head starts and along this entire stretch of road there are huge open areas for parking and camp sites.

Anyone have a map of the area with campsites marked out? We could try to call someone down there perhaps??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom