Hollywood...give me a break!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by flintknapper, Jul 6, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

What is it with movies that have bullets "sparking" off of glass windshields, tree trunks,car door skins, etc? Bullets, (civilian) don't "spark" off of anything! They do leave "marks" which are usually left out.

How about the sound of a bullet ricochetting off into the distance....and the scene is inside a 12'x12" room in a house?

And talk about "high capacity".......how do those guys get 50-60 rounds out of a 1911 with NO reloads?

I've seen both men and women in movies with BOTH index fingers on the trigger. Now.... I've shot some pistols that had an honest to goodness 12 lb. trigger pull.....but it didn't require both hands. Does anyone do any research on these things or is it just left up to the actor to screw up?

Occasionally, you'll see something that incorporates proper weapons handling and techniques....but not very often.

Maybe the general public doesn't know the difference anyway.......Hollywood!

2. swank60

swank60

were you watching John Wayne movies or something?

3. Budd

Budd

its because hollywood gun fights are alot cooler than gun fights where people use proper weapons handling. and the bullets sparking and ricochetting is all about "suspension of belief". its a lot cooler than real life

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Hmm...did you just go see Mr & Mrs Smith? Lots of shooting in there, some reloading, but not much.

5. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    The public doesn't care bro, we just wanna be entertained.

6. flintknapper

flintknapper

NO! John Wayne actually hit what he was shooting at most of the time....(no sparks that way)!

7. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT

The only thing that I can tell you is that for the military type movies they have military people there showing them how things should be done, and i do know that if you are wearing a military uniform in the movie it can not be perfect, something has to be off.

Sorry not much help for what you wanted though.

8. Jman

Jman

Whoa, that is just so way wrong---Flint, why don't you load up and travel to Hollywood and show them how it really looks! :rolleyes: Be sure to take pics! :D

9. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't know about you all, but the wife and I are so sick of "hollywood" movies, we don't go see them any more... OK, occasionally we still get sucked in, but are usually dissapointed. Trying to stick to the indi stuff, and foreign films. This way, we don't feel ripped off!

10. miked

miked

my favorite is the guy flying backwards six feet after being hit.

11. flintknapper

flintknapper

You couldn't drag me to H-wood.

Just lookin' for a little reality. I guess John Q. Public would rather have sparks, flames, and completely unbelievable feats to entertain them instead of....Oh I don't know............A PLOT! I forget that much of what comes out of Hollywood today is aimed at the video game generation NTTAWWT.........so, I'll just go put on "Ol Yeller" or something.

12. gulp3000

gulp3000

As a proud gun nut, I feel your pain. For some folks it's when they call a Cruiser a Jeep, or when the Commanche are attacking and there's a jet vapor trail in the 1850 Utah sky, or when cave men and early dinosaurs live in the same period.

It is harder to get lost in the suspension of reality when blatant mistakes are made. It also frustrating to see the millions of $$ that get spent on production, sets, locations, and actors get trumped by ignorance towards common sense stuff.

13. FirstToy

FirstToy

Just because it's from Hollywood doesn't mean it's crap, just because it's foreign or indie doesn't mean it's good.

One of the best, and most accurate, gunfights was created by an American director in a hollywood film- Heat. That has been ripped off in more hollywood, foreign and indie films than any other in recent memory.

As for stylized gun play, that's what it is. Most of the audience doesn't care or enjoys it. Sometimes it's editorially better to keep the emotion going rather than show the mechanics of the action.

14. flintknapper

flintknapper

15. srafj40

srafj40

My fav is how in the movies they can all hear and talk at a low level. After any live-fire X I was involved in, NOBODY TALKED AT ALL, AND THE HEARING DID NOT WORK RIGHT FOR DAYS.

16. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    My favorite is seeing how they feel the neccessity to rack the slide on anything and everything, before, during, and after the gunfight. They never carry a loaded chamber. Watch the movie StarGate and when they get in the first gunfight in the pyramid, you'll hear 4 or 5 guys with MP5's rack their slides at least 20-30 times over 2 minutes time. It drives me crazy. They fired enough shots to use 2 mags each, but I guess that they feel the need to do a chamber check every 2 seconds. :doh:

17. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

THey just talked about this today on Mythbusters.

Used a dead pig and all sorts of weapons to prove that if you are shot, you drop in your tracks, not fly all over christs creation like you were shot with a 88 MM artillery piece.

Steve

18. swank60

swank60

When it comes to most action movies, I think they're all a little gay. I've always hated the James Bond movies. My favorite spy movie in recent memory was "Spy Game" with Brad Pitt and Robert Redford. There's a scene where Redford tells Pitt that a pack of cigs and a stick of gum will get him further than anything else...give me a John Le Carre style spy film or story over gadgets, guns and testosterone any day.

As for war movies, same deal. The John Wayne "just leave me behind, Sarge!" type movies are plain ol' dumb, but man - "Band of Brothers" (all 850 hours of it) is flat out awesome.

That said, the gun fight in "The Life Aquatic" was exactly the sort of rediculous that you're talking about - but I think that it works there, because it's supposed to be cartoony. Adds to the humor in a subtle way.

19. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I don't recognize the difference. I'm gun dumb...

dumb, dumb dumb dummmmmmmmm!

TY - My name is Friday ..

20. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

I agree with all the above, let me detour the thread a little, ...

how about movie chase scenes done on gravel roads where you hear the tires squeal around each and every corner!?! Doh!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.