Holley Sniper 2GC Small Bore Fuel Injection installed on my 1964 1F Single Barrel Manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, the Holley is easier than a 22RE, retrofit or swap?

I thought the same thing, but I'll take Cam's and Nolen's word for it.

One of my sons did a 22RE retrofit on his earlier mini truck. It's been some years ago, but 22RE's used to be pretty common, from so many mini trucks that had them. Used to find them in salvage yards after the timing chain guides broke and the timing chain sawed through the timing chest (the only real weakness of the 20-22R family).

Installing a sniper 2GC into a 64 1f makes a bit of a jigsaw puzzle.
Issue is clearancing everything.
I'm happy to report that she is finally up and running...

The oil filter needed to be relocated, which in turn moved the air cleaner and on and on..

You can see I hacked the throttle arm on the sniper, but it wasn't enough...

20200417_220313.jpg

Last edited:
Does it perform any different than the 2300?
JP

Does it perform any different than the 2300?
JP

So far they behave exactly the same way. But I am still dialing it in. Hopefully by end of today I will get her out and about.

I did (do?) have an issue with the TPS (throttle position sensor) It reads 85 sometimes at key on. Then sometimes it will read Zero... I think its a bad or going bad TPS out of the box. I will keep my eye on it as anything above a 40 reading will prevent it from injecting fuel as it reads a flood type condition. (forget what it's actually called). Good thing is its an easily sourced part either from Holley, or my local auto parts guy.

My plan today is to get the timing dialed back in, then do another IAC reset, and throttle plate adjust. After that, she should be gtg. Right now I'm running the Trollhole dizzy which seems to be working fine. I have the same setup on my 78 and it purrs right along. I did buy a DUI dizzy, but may hold off on that until my next Sniper Install.

Oh and and an installation note... If you look at the pic above you see I'm using a spacer between the Air-cleaner and Sniper. I would not need the spacer if I wasnt moving the aircleaner up to provide clearance for the oil canister. I discovered that the opening of the air cleaner (the inner opening) fits perfectly overt the mouth of the sniper. Only thing you would need is a gasket to seal it up. The way the air cleaner is, theres a inner opening, and an external flange. I cut back that external flange, and with it out of the way, the Sniper and Aircleaner match right up. I will post a pic in a bit of the mods made to the aircleaner flange so you can actually see what was done. So the good news is, this sniper (2GC Smallbore) will match right up to the stock air cleaners designed for early 2 barrel rigs. (69 - 74)

I think I'm going to get a remote oil filter relocation kit so I can get everything back to it's proper position, and will allow me to use regular twist on filters. It will lose it's vintageness but when I go to sell it, I can just include the original setup if someone wants to go back...

Last edited:
Here are the mods made to the air cleaner. With outer flange trimmed down, the inner flange opening is a perfect fit on the Sniper 2GC.

20200418_180524.jpg
20200418_180307.jpg

Looks great! Did you end up doing the large bore? What are the dimensions of the intake throats of the respective 2GCs? Im looking at one for my 2bbl 1F and want to maintain the air cleaner. I like that it is more or less concentric, whereas the 2300s are offset. That will make keeping the air cleaner easier. I found an old 2GC to Toyota 2bbl adapter (which seems more like a spacer.) If the diameters and stack up work out I hope not to need any spacer up top. Thanks!

I would like an update to. Eventually will get my 63' going again, and the carb (did not have OEM) was a pain when it was parked. As an aside we built a CJ7 for my son, and would likely get a 2GC for his first ne way, so two learning curves in one!

Bob in CO

I have not done the large bore yet.
The small bore is running great on the 64.

I just added a DUI Electronic Distributor with live wires a short time ago. Haven't been able to put any miles on it due to the fires east of me and the continuous falling of ash.

Supposed to clear up by Thursday.

When it does I will let you know how it goes with the DUI.

Taking pics this weekend for the bring a trailer auction coming soon. :)

Any update on this project? I'm looking to add a Sniper EFI to my '73 1F. It sounds like you like the 2GC over the 2300 for the 1F as it mates easier and provides the same performance. From the notes I took while reading your thread, I'd also need the Trans-Dapt 2025 manifold adapter and then trim the outer flange on the air cleaner to make it fit the Sniper. Did I miss a discussion on a fuel pump? Did you add one?

If you are running a 2 barrel manifold go with the 2GC large bore.

I just mocked it up the other day.

I did a mini write up on it.
Thread 'Initial fitting of a Sniper 2GC Large Bore (with great results!)'
Initial fitting of a Sniper 2GC Large Bore (with great results!) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/initial-fitting-of-a-sniper-2gc-large-bore-with-great-results.1240308/

I’m working on a riser made from aluminum. It’s two inches tall and can be built without modifying the Sniper or the manifold.
But that’s all it needs, either a 2 inch riser, or a spacer between the Sniper and the air cleaner. The later being super easy to do.

Ok, it's getting to be about time for 1F guys to look at ebay #264979659073 for another option on fuel injection possibilities.- - -just saying !!!!!
@Downey - Jim, that Fitech kit specifies fitment for a '58-'67 w/ 135 engine. Have you tried it on the later 1F engines? I'm running a '73.

Last edited:
Yep, you want my ebay #264952805027, but don't buy it on ebay, I will merely send you a PayPal invoice- - -easy deal.

Yep, you want my ebay #264952805027, but don't buy it on ebay, I will merely send you a PayPal invoice- - -easy deal.
@Downey What's your take on the right Sniper kit for the 1F? 2300 or 2GC? Is it better to get the Holley master kit or source the fuel pump and line separately?

All of that is entirely up to your preference, I’m still a tbi guy.

All of that is entirely up to your preference, I’m still a tbi guy.
can I ask why you don't add the fuel pump and related components to your kit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom