Holley Sniper 2 barrel conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried to find someone to weld on my gas tank. No one would touch it. Dont know how to link but heres a easier way to install a return line. Just drill a hole, insert then tighten the bolt.

View attachment 1718625
Also if you do not want to modify the tank, you can T into the filler neck.

710-65385.jpg

You’ll want to mount it above the highest fill point. If you mount it too low, it will create resistance while returning fuel. At least that’s how I picture it in my head.

Question. The return line is mentioned many times. Does this mean I would have to change gas tanks? I have an old tank with only one outlet, coming out of the side, and no return holes or lines.

The Sniper "Master Kit" includes the fuel pump, filters, fuel line, and a fitting to install in the gas tank for the return line. Not sure what the process is to make that fitting work.
I really like the idea someone else posted of the additional connection on the fuel filler hose. That should work too.

No issues yet. I have about 200 miles on it. There is still a ton of learning to.

@BrianSanDiego only once have I seen one of my fuel cells be at 45% learn otherwise everything is around 10%. About 18 miles of my commute to work I am able to just stay in 3rd/4th and cruise and different rpms. How long should I expect this to take? I’m still loving the smoothness of the motor. It’s quieter than ever too.

When you see that "Learn" percentage stop adjusting, that location on the fuel map is about done learning. So your idle area and freeway cruise are probably done. What I don't like is that for the high RPM learning the engine has to spend some time there, so it takes a long time for that area to finish learning. A better way is to connect the laptop and manually adjust the less often used parts of the map. It's not necessary but I don't like having to flog the motor to learn the whole fuel map.

So, parts of your map are probably done, and others probably still a ways from completing. You can tell how far they have to go to completion by watching the "closed loop compensation" display. That is the difference between the Map's current value, and what the ECU is currently injecting to make the mixture correct. ECUs best guess, to ECUs actually required. If the "closed loop compensation" is 5% or less the fuel map is really close.

When you see that "Learn" percentage stop adjusting, that location on the fuel map is about done learning. So your idle area and freeway cruise are probably done. What I don't like is that for the high RPM learning the engine has to spend some time there, so it takes a long time for that area to finish learning. A better way is to connect the laptop and manually adjust the less often used parts of the map. It's not necessary but I don't like having to flog the motor to learn the whole fuel map.

So, parts of your map are probably done, and others probably still a ways from completing. You can tell how far they have to go to completion by watching the "closed loop compensation" display. That is the difference between the Map's current value, and what the ECU is currently injecting to make the mixture correct. ECUs best guess, to ECUs actually required. If the "closed loop compensation" is 5% or less the fuel map is really close.

THIS is really good to know. Thanks!

Where on the tank did you put the return fitting?
I actually have not installed it. I bought a new tank but there is no return line and was looking to see what was available. Saw the filler neck return but wonder if a line could be soldered in and direct the gas down to the tank.

There are vendors selling these kits on Amazon. Any vendors preferred, or to stay away from?
Or, preferably, are there any vendors on MUD selling them?

Downey will sell you an install kit. Jegs and summit have free shipping. I found a performance shop local and picked it up there so if I was missing any parts or had questions I could talk with them.

I've just started making the FiTech or Sniper installation kits, they include the adapter, cable linkage set up, and air cleaner that clears the brake master cylinder, but I am also refining components and getting ready for full blown production- - -stay tuned

View attachment 1668945

View attachment 1668946
Any more on the kits Jim?
Looking at swapping carb and thinking better way to go than a Weber....

So I have been researching this mod quite a bit. I know that I will be changing out my petronix equipped, capped vac line, vac retard dizzy when I take the plunge. I came across this article from 2004 where chevy EFI was adapted to a 2F. What I found interesting was this part:
Turbo City performed the fuel injection conversion on our pre-smog Land Cruiser using a distributor from Up And Over Innovations to interface between the Toyota engine and the GM computer. Unlike the factory Toyota unit, this distributor doesn't have a vacuum advance since the ignition advance and retard functions are now handled by the GM computer. In fact, the computer thinks it's receiving signals from a '90 V-6 S-10 pickup.

Does anyone know anything about these distributors, if they will work with the Sniper's timing control and how they are adapted to an F/2F? I cant find anything about Turbo City or Up and Over Innovations, but they do link Davis Unified Innovations in the article.
131_0207_efi_06_z.jpg

This shows a comparison of the stock distributor (right) and the Up And Over Innovations modified GM electronic distributor. If you look closely, youll notice that the new distributor has no vacuum advance. The computer (ECU) now handles all the ignition advance and retard functions. This distributor is slightly taller than the stock unit and might interfere with some dual battery trays. If it does, modify the tray. Its worth the effort to get EFI.

Could you just buy something like this and swap on a Toyota gear?

Last edited:
@ryanwk628 what I have from my previous tbi conversion is this distributor. I holds a gm ignition module and has an induction style pick up on it. The two terminals on the pickup sensor should let the two wires from the sniper harnes plus right into it. I will just build a block off plate for the GM ignition module.

I bought this off eBay circa 2012. From what I remember it was about $250-300 and the guy was building them on a lathe in his basement. It’s similar to that of a 4.3 tbi distributor but with a Toyota gear.

I’m pretty sure that you could get an fj60 or fj62 distributor to work with no problems just like it does on the AFI kits.

But getting the distributor phased with the crankshaft per holleys instructions will be a little tricky.

0798D5AE-8F9E-4898-81BC-8324495E086E.jpeg

6E5389D7-A065-4C00-87C2-AC0E07E6AB0B.jpeg

@Downey are you still selling your kit for the Sniper conversion. If so shoot me a message.

I'm building more installation kits now for installing the Fitech or Holley fuel injection kits, but they are pricey since I ran out of my OLD INVENTORY, and now have to spend $$$. I have to custom machine the 8mm adapter plate mounting screws, I include one of my 26" long upgraded throttle cable kits with die stamped cable mounting bracket, I include a 6 3/8" round air cleaner with 4" tall K&N pre oiled filter element (this diameter does not hit the brake master cylinder), and I customize the top lid of the air cleaner housing with a moulded-in "Fuel Injection" chrome emblem. New cost of new kit is $189.90. Lemme know about interest in new kit so that I know how many to build, I only have parts this instant for 3 kits.

I'm building more installation kits now for installing the Fitech or Holley fuel injection kits, but they are pricey since I ran out of my OLD INVENTORY, and now have to spend $$$. I have to custom machine the 8mm adapter plate mounting screws, I include one of my 26" long upgraded throttle cable kits with die stamped cable mounting bracket, I include a 6 3/8" round air cleaner with 4" tall K&N pre oiled filter element (this diameter does not hit the brake master cylinder), and I customize the top lid of the air cleaner housing with a moulded-in "Fuel Injection" chrome emblem. New cost of new kit is $189.90. Lemme know about interest in new kit so that I know how many to build, I only have parts this instant for 3 kits.

I am in for a kit but would not need the Air cleaner.

I think the biggest demand is for the Holley adapter, and an adapter to run a stock air cleaner.

I would absolutely be interest in the throttle kit. Could you shoot me some pics? I may already have adapter sourced and really want to try and modify the system to keep the factory air cleaner on my 60. Just let me know. Thanks, Dustin

I have absolutely no idea if this will work better, but it looks like Holley came out with a new Sniper that has similar dimensions to a stock Jeep carb? Maybe it will fit better? No idea but thought I'd throw it out there.
Holley EFI 550-858 Holley Sniper EFI BBD for Jeep CJ

And also it looks like they're going to offer a Hyperspark distributor for the Jeep inline 6. I've read about people installing GM HEI distibutors in Jeeps, so might it work the other way? Jeep Hyperspark dizzy --> GM --> Landcruiser? Just ideas...
B,

I think the biggest demand is for the Holley adapter,

Funny, I have a pile of these left over from people who hated their holley carbs..

$1,300 EACH!!! lol

I have a vague memory of Moroso or Mr Gasket making the adapter plate as well.
Hmmm

Last edited:
Funny, I have a pile of these left over from people who hated their holley carbs..

$1,300 EACH!!! lol

I have a vague memory of Moroso or Mr Gasket making the adapter plate as well.
Hmmm

There is one that looks like it is close enough to just open up the bolt holes. Haven’t tried it yet though.

I would absolutely be interest in the throttle kit. Could you shoot me some pics? I may already have adapter sourced and really want to try and modify the system to keep the factory air cleaner on my 60. Just let me know. Thanks, Dustin
Look at my ebay #253264248936 (mud guys do not have to buy on ebay). Of particular interest is the brass bar on the pedal end of the cable, it spins free from the actual throttle wire, so it is not getting bent every time you give throttle. Also note carburetor end is removable so that cable can be trimmed to exact length required- - -easy deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom