Holley Carb Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my '73 40 a few months ago, and finally have it ready for the road.

It has a 3F motor in it, with an Offenhauser intake and Holley 4 barrel. If I goose the throttle pretty good, the engine will bog. It's more pronounced when it's under load, but even when it's idling and I tug on the cable, it'll stutter.

I'm not sure of the cfm of the carb, but isn't a 4-barrel kind of overkill for the motor? Is this the cause of my problems, or should I look to adjusting the carb? Or, could it be the timing or something else not related to the carb?

Thanks in advance for the help.

First, Welcome.

Second, chances are, it is a 2F. Carburated 3Fs were not offered in the US. Check out the valve cover and see if it says 2F on the front.

Third, take that Holley off, throw it in the bushes and throw rocks at it. They suck.

Fourth, PM swbfj45 about a good rebuilt Aisin carb and install it...

Again, welcome!

mountainibis said:
I just got my '73 40 a few months ago, and finally have it ready for the road.

It has a 3F motor in it, with an Offenhauser intake and Holley 4 barrel. If I goose the throttle pretty good, the engine will bog. It's more pronounced when it's under load, but even when it's idling and I tug on the cable, it'll stutter.

I'm not sure of the cfm of the carb, but isn't a 4-barrel kind of overkill for the motor? Is this the cause of my problems, or should I look to adjusting the carb? Or, could it be the timing or something else not related to the carb?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome.

IMO, yes, yes and yes.

I have a 350 Holley 2bbl on my 2.....F.... and it works fine but I will go back to stock when it starts acting up. Because I think it is to much carb for the engine.

Plus I want to go back to stock Air cleaner, it is so much better.

Maybe disable the secondries and of course do a tune up ane make sure there are no vacum leaks.

Use the search engine on this forum and I am sure you will find something on the Offy and 4bbL and it will give you some ideas and opinions.

Yeah, I figured I'd be questioned about it, but it's definitely a 3F (says so on the valve cover). The repair manual says the motor's from a 62, 70, 73, or 75. What was the stock set-up for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom