Holland, MI........... rust problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found an 80 in Holland, MI that I'm initially interested in. It's a 95 and has been there it's whole life.

I'm from Az and don't fully understand what types of conditions or places create rust.

Any input? Can I expect significant rust on this vehicle?

Regards,
Larry

Larry,

>> Can I expect significant rust on this vehicle? <<

A well cared for truck that lives in areas with signficant snow and salted roads can still be rust-free if the PO took care of the vehicle. If not, you can have a bad problem with rust underneath and possibly on the body. Older cruisers and models before the 80's were worse about rusting, but it can still be an issue.

Get someone to take some pics for you and decide for yourself.
-B-

Thanks B.

Anyone in this area care to take some pics for me?

Yes, expect significant rust. Body panels survive much better than they did 20 years ago with galvanized steel, plastics and aluminum, but every nut and bolt that you try to loosen will have a high probability of snapping off. I lived the first 21 years of my life in western Michigan two of those in Holland. Being right on the shores of Lake Michigan they usually get much more snow than twenty miles inland. They like to use lots of salt on the roads. We always called the cars cancer infected. I had a brand new 1979 Z28 there for one winter and when mechanics in California would work on the car in later years they couldn't believe the amount of rust underneath. Being from AZ. I think you would be very disappointed.

Lars,

PM me your phone number. One of our members (my bro) here lives in Holland and owns 2 80s. I'll get your info to him ASAP.

Doug

My Audi has begun to show spots of rust with 14 yrs and 225k on it. I parked it outside and never washed it, but you'd think it'd hold up ya know! you've got my #, I've got my camera.

Scott, I really appreciate you looking at this vehicle for me. Unfortunately the lack of diff-locks is a deal breaker. I'm just sort of blown away that someone across the country was willing to help me. I think that it so cool. If you are ever in Az, let me know and I'll make it up to you.

Doug, thanks as well.

The dealer was sure it had lockers. Then he was sure a used 100 had lockers front and rear. I had to look, it had a center lock switch only. Buyer beware!

The other problem with a rust belt vehicle is rusty nuts and bolts. They either rust and brake when you try to remove or they strip out.

Betcha mine's clean as a whistle - heh. Mobil 1 since 3500 miles...

So it is. Guess that's my cue the Ambien just kicked in and it's time to get the laptop off the bed and catch some Zs. :cheers:

Doug

Too late, his brother saw it and now I get to harrass him about it :whoops: :doh: ??? :-[ :D

I go through Holland once or twice a weel going to Frankford MI with cranberries.
Stay out of my way. I have a big green KW semi.

Heh. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom