Holidays Wheelin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. The bumper situation on the '40 has resulted in some issues, but that should be resolved by tomorrow nite.

Can't you ask some easier questions? :D

How about this: as Carl suggested earlier, we drive in via Telegraph Canyon; this comes out at Ajax mine. So that would allow for some rockcrawling opportunities in Ajax for those so inclined, whereas others just drive the dirt road or have lunch. We come out at Mineral Mountain road and U.S. 60, where one of us could drive you back up the 8 or so miles of Hwy. 60 to collect your tow rig at the entrance of Telegraph while the others watch the buggy at Mineral Mountain road while they're airing up.

How far is Telegraph Canyon to Ajax? I've never done Telegraph and I'm assuming the enterance is pretty close to the Mineral Mtn and 60 junction (sounds like ~ 8 miles). I could just backtrack after Ajax.....but, are there already plans to run these trails in this area?

What I'm saying is: I hope no one is making these plans (i.e., some rockcrawling at Ajax) on my account.

Please let me know.

Sean

Telegraph Canyon Trail is 12 miles, according to Massey's book. You're right Ajax is probably 8- 10 miles down the trail. I offered it as a Thursday option for a scenic run with some diffQ side detours available. Also, it allows several routes out, including thru Coke Ovens, where I've never been - always time for that though.

That being said, I want to check out your buggy and I'm sure a static display just would not do it justice!:bounce:

Is there a place on BLM land I can park my trailer and tow rig on the Telegraph Canyon side? I don't have a current STL permit. Anyone know what office I need to go to now to get one....maybe I can go down today and pick one up?

Sean

Still gotta go down town to get your permit. I would park you tow rig and trailer at the highschool in Superior.

Do I have to drive on the road at all then though? I'd rather leave it on Telegraph Canyon road where it turns to dirt (if there is such a place). Btw, great map!

Sean

Fun trail! When you're near the top you cross the AZ Trail. There's a side road that leads to a rock canyon run along the AZ Trail. Along that side trip you get to this spot. Killer views and play time.

ALSO: After leaving Ajax Mine and climbing toward the summit, BE VERY CAREFUL for a very HUGE and dangerous washout on the left.....wait, you'll be coming the opposite way....any how, in the wet this could be deadly if you're not perfect on your line.

26582001-L.jpg

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do any of you guys think the V notch off to the left of the ledge (if you're going up) is doable?

Sean the first time I ran this trail was with the local Bronco club (5+yrs ago) and a guy in a cut-up red Bronco with 38+ tires ran the V-notch. The driver of the rig was a owner or part owner in Driven auto parts. It was amazing the only place he had problems was crossing over to get out, but he did without help. I have pictures somewhere and will post if I can find them.

Where and when are we meeting for the run tomorrow?

I was just logging on to check on that very thing. I suppose that since I recommended the trail, and Claudia seconded me, I'm the responsible party. I would say the same Basha's parking lot in Gold Canyon (Superstition Mtn. Drive about 3 miles down 60 past the end of the freeway) about 09:00. Does this work for everyone interested?

Carl

Sean the first time I ran this trail was with the local Bronco club (5+yrs ago) and a guy in a cut-up red Bronco with 38+ tires ran the V-notch. The driver of the rig was a owner or part owner in Driven auto parts. It was amazing the only place he had problems was crossing over to get out, but he did without help. I have pictures somewhere and will post if I can find them.

Ya, I've wheeled with him before and cannot remember his name at the moment. Steve or Randy?

Pics would be awesome if you can find 'em. If not, no biggie. Just curious.

Thanks,
Sean

I was just logging on to check on that very thing. I suppose that since I recommended the trail, and Claudia seconded me, I'm the responsible party. I would say the same Basha's parking lot in Gold Canyon (Superstition Mtn. Drive about 3 miles down 60 past the end of the freeway) about 09:00. Does this work for everyone interested?

Carl

Do we know yet who all is definitely coming?

Looks like Carl, Claudia and AZ FJ so far.

I'm wondering if maybe I should just meet you guys at Upper Ajax rather than back tracking to my tow rig at the end of the day? If you're thinking of having lunch there around noon, I could just get there an hour or so early and wait for ya.....but again, don't let me make any plans for the group. By all means, it's your guys' run and you dictate how it's gonnna go.

Also, there's a decent chance of rain tomorrow. If it's raining in the morning, I won't be there....no windshield and I'm just getting over a cold and don't wanna get it back.

Sean

I'm in. 'Claudia' usually includes her husband Michael (Chase Truck) and I'm sure Kevin (Tools R Us) and his brother Rob will probably be there.

-Spike

So what's the consensus on me meeting you guys around noon at Ajax mine? Bad idea?

Anyone know the weather for tomorrow off hand? It was raining at my house in Mesa a few hours ago.

Sean

I don't know the logistics, so I don't have an opinion. I'd be happy to run you back to grab your tow rig if that's the way you end up going. I'd love to check out your buggy too, so whatever works, do it! :D

-Spike

I don't know the logistics, so I don't have an opinion. I'd be happy to run you back to grab your tow rig if that's the way you end up going. I'd love to check out your buggy too, so whatever works, do it! :D

-Spike

Thanks for the offer....most likely I'll just back track the way we come in if I don't just meet you at the mine.

What CB channel do you guys normally run?

Sean

So what's the consensus on me meeting you guys around noon at Ajax mine? Bad idea?

Anyone know the weather for tomorrow off hand? It was raining at my house in Mesa a few hours ago.

Sean

Thursday: Showers and thundershowers in the morning followed by a chance of showers in the afternoon. High 56F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

I have never run that trail before, so I don't have a good feel of what time we will arrive at Ajax. Probably early afternoon? We are planning to exit on Mineral Mtn, so that's where you would want to put the tow rig.

I can't leave it at Mineral Mtn. I don't have my STL permit. If I go with you guys in the morning, I'll leave it at the highschool or on the dirt road for Telegraph and back track to it after running Upper Ajax.

If I meet you guys at the mine, I'll just park it on BLM land past the first cattle guard on Cottonwood Canyon.

Again, if it's raining in the morning though, I won't be there so don't wait.

You know, now that I think about it....this really isn't making much sense. There's no point in you guys trying to be at the mine by a certain time (even with a few hour window), especially since I don't even know if anyone else is interested in running Upper Ajax. I doubt I'd want to stand around waiting (not that I expect anyone to) while some yahoo I don't know wheels a canyon I don't even want to drive into.....unless the wheeling was spectacular and U. Ajax really isn't.

Maybe I should just take a rain check (bad pun w/ the weather forecast :p ) and join you guys when you want to do Martinez Canyon or something that several people are interested in doing.

I guess we'll leave it at this: I probably won't be going with you guys tomorrow. If I'm not at Basha's by 9, consider me out and don't wait. I just don't want to be anymore of a burden than I already have been.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom