Holidays Wheelin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holy crap, that's legitimate carnage right there!

-Spike (Note: No jokes about women drivers coming from me! :D I have to drive near her tomorrow. ;) )
Howdy! Maybe she needs some bumper stock like mine, 1/4 inch thick! I do have some 3" pipe just sitting here. John

What an awesome day! The scenery was spectacular, the weather perfect. The sun, well, uncooperative. Looking at Well's, I think we ran the trail loop backwards - hell, I would not want to go up those descents anyway! It also appears there was a warning against Carnage Step - I can imagine the 6 of us trying to go down that %^$@#!

Thanks all! and we got Karen home in time for the xmas classic "its a wonderful life". I guess next time I gotta act like I know where I'm going....

All - post yer pix!

Carl

Last edited:
So we ran trail 315 yesterday, with Kevin or Spike leading most of the way, and Rob in the '80, Carl in the FJC, myself in the '40 making up the rest of the group, and Michael in the K5 bringing up the rear. Fabulous scenery in the mountains, terrific weather, lot's of rocky climbs, with 5-8" rocks rearranging themselves as you drive over. Kudos go to Spike for making the drive up Carnage Step look easy, most of us took the bypass. Thanks to everyone for another great day on the trails. Next ride: probably Thursday...Merry Christmas to everyone!
DSC02891.jpg
DSC02900.jpg
DSC02905.jpg

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the trail numbers. Was trail 315 Alamo Canyon, Telegraph Canyon or Hackberry or something else?

The middle pic looks a little like the step in the middle of the Hackberry trail....but the background doesn't look right to me.

Just curious.

Sean

Yep, that's Hackberry. That was the only significant obstacle on the trail. Both Kevin and I ran it, and unfortunately I was spotting Kevin when he ran aground on his rocker. :eek: There were quite a bit of round rocks on top of more round rocks and washed out areas on the hills that made the drive 'interesting' (the term 'annoying' was used, actually). Very nice scenery, and we saw a whole pack (herd? gaggle?) of coatimundi- around 15- cross the trail at one point. Anyone get pics of those? My wife is interested in seeing them. We briefly chased a javalina too- looked like a Chow dog to me, but all I saw was its backside. Great day, great folks. I'm glad I finally got to do this trail, as I've been hearing about it for years but never managed to get out there.

-Spike

Did you guys manage to make it over to "little Moab"? I've heard the top of the trail there at the Oak Flat campground has been taken over by a mining company and you can't go through that way anymore. Know anything about that?

Which way did you guys go in and come out?

Sean

We went in off the road that goes by Oak Flat campground and came out on Highway 177. We ran a little loop trail at Oak Flat campground as 'warmup'. Didn't see anything that I'd call 'little Moab'...

Had a blast, way cool area. Got a nice little reminder not to play follow the leader with Spike!:D

There was some mining equipment at the start, we just motored by it. No "keep out" signs, just "hard hat area".

There are a bunch of side roads that "need" to be explored.:D
12-24-2006_1.jpg
12-24-2006_2.jpg
12-24-2006_3.jpg

Doesn't look like you ran the extreme hill or canyon?

If the picture on page 1 with the cattle pond (or is that a burro pond...) shows Extreme Hill, then yes, we ran that section. We came down the hill as it's shown in your pic.

If the picture on page 1 with the cattle pond (or is that a burro pond...) shows Extreme Hill, then yes, we ran that section. We came down the hill as it's shown in your pic.

There's two hills that hit the cattle pond. The right hill is extreme though you have to know how to find the north side. The left zig-zag is the book part of the trail...the main trail. Which didja do?

26324380-L.jpg

I didn't take many photos, but I recorded the first wrong turn (which happened before we even aired down) and then the boulder pushing contest.
IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg

Doesn't look like you ran the extreme hill or canyon?

We didn't, none of us had ever been there before, so we just explored and had a good time.:cool:

We went in off the road that goes by Oak Flat campground and came out on Highway 177. We ran a little loop trail at Oak Flat campground as 'warmup'. Didn't see anything that I'd call 'little Moab'...

Sorry, wrong name.....guess they call it "mini-Lion's Back"...but again, it really doesn't bear any resemblance to the real thing.

Here's a pic from Shotts site:

60496376-M.jpg

As usual, the pics never do the obstacle justice. ;)

Sean

There's two hills that hit the cattle pond. The right hill is extreme though you have to know how to find the north side. The left zig-zag is the book part of the trail...the main trail. Which didja do?

To find the north side....is that where you end up going through that cattle chute? I think that's how we got there, but maybe it's a different climb.

Sean

Sorry, wrong name.....guess they call it "mini-Lion's Back"...but again, it really doesn't bear any resemblance to the real thing.

Here's a pic from Shotts site:

60496376-M.jpg

As usual, the pics never do the obstacle justice. ;)

Sean

Yes...and at the upper right corner of the picture is the top of the extreme canyon. It downhils to the bottom like the slickrock does. Folks can take their choice or do both. I still think the extreme hill is the best, ESPECIALLY if run south to north.

Shotts,
Hope you don't mind me linking your pics. If I'm using up bandwidth, please let me know and I'll make everything links.

Sorry for not thinking of this sooner. Pretty inconsiderate of me.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom