Holes in the chassis...got a bung ? ------------ Problem solved ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As it is nice and dry over here I finally I got round to fit a 1/2 inch garden hose to my vakuum cleaner and start to clean the inside of my chassis.
For quite some time I saw this little pebbles when I looked at the water drain holes at the underside of the chassis - effectivly partly or complete blocking these.
What I could get out, I'm sure there is way more in it, was quite a mixture of pebbles, rust and sand. Seems the PO got stuck in that riverbed.....
There are this rather big holes close to the rear wheel, quite easy all sorts of unwanted material can enter here. A quick look in my parts catalogue showed to my suprise that the rubber bungs I was expecting to see there are not shown - or not shown on the picture with the frame ?
Luckely those holes are there at all - and providing access for the vakuum cleaner though...
Sure I can find something which will fit and close them like a larger variety of the bungs you'll find at the rear brake back plate - but is it really so that those holes are always open and literally inviting the dirt to have a secure place to rest inside the chassis member ?
When I poked my finger into the one towards the front of the rear wheel the cavity was filled up to about 1/3 of its height.
I want those holes blocked - whats your experience ?

L1430557.JPG
L1430559.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a screen grab I took from another thread a while ago (kudos to the BC cruiser head I pilfered the image from). No experience with these plugs myself, but figured it would be good info to have down the road.
IMG_20201230_165406.png

Cheers !

Just checked that number and they are only fitted to various 70 series models. No wonder I couldn't find them for the 60.

Will check our local dealer for price and availability. Thanks again.

They're there for a reason and Toyota didn't plug them for a reason. I wouldn't try to outsmart Toyota engineers

It's a bad idea to plug up holes if it prevents the inside of the frame from drying out but there are lots of other holes besides those ones and obviously you are on top of maintenance so I can only see it as a good thing. I'll look into getting these. My frame is full of dirt + grease so very hard to remove, I can't vacuum, blow or wash it out. I will need to loosen it up with degreaser then park on a really steep hill to see if I can move it.

The box of the frame is open on either end, It’s going to breathe. Prevent more of the water/mud from getting in and less will need to dry out..

Those are Toyota made frame plugs, made to fit the punch outs..

That is my truck that has the Toyota plugs. They do help to keep the mud/sand out, I would still recommend rinsing the frame out but I find there’s much less debris in there.

6 plugs fit my 1985 bj60 frame, there’s 8 holes but the last two, one on either side are larger punch outs.
A7FC48E8-7346-467B-9E21-A8594BE1D9DB.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom