Holes, Holes, and More Holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
So a PO decided to attach quite a bit of things to the body of my 1968 40. Bash plates, home grown spare tire/jerry can mount, and who knows what else. I have removed all of it and am now facing the swiss cheese left behind. Of note on the passenger side back corner is this curious indentation with four holes in the middle...

full

full

I don't recall this on my BJ40 back in the day, and cannot seem to find any 40s online with anything there. I am planning on pulling/filling it and just want to know if anyone here is familiar with this pattern and shape before I commit to doing away with it.

Lastly, I have this somewhat rectangular hole on the rear driver side corner...

full

Any thoughts on what that would be for?

Last edited:
You didn’t mention which year your truck is. It looks similar to how mine did. I’d guess the hole in the left 1/4 is from a factory light, and the pattern on the right 1/4 with 4 holes is from someone backing into something with the stock spare tire carrier.

Oops. Yeah mine is a 68. I'll update the post. Thanks for the info too. I suspected a light on the driver side too. I need to decide if that's something I want to keep.

I actually deleted that hole by cutting in 4” LED stop/turn lamps in rubber grommets. Gasp-I know... but now they aren’t affected by road and trail grime off the back tires.

You got any pics? :) I am thinking I might put in something different back there too3

Pardon the old sticker. It will leave with new paint. I built the tailgate back in ‘03/04 when I was active duty and didn’t know how to build stuff better. The British tow tractor/tug latchpulls have always worked well.

View attachment 1748813

LOL, no worries. I don't judge bumper sticker philosophies! :) Those look nice! A fella in our TLC club did something similar for the same reasons. He wanted the lights to be more visible and get up out of the grime.

4 holes with the indent is probably the right side spare tire carrier upper hinge. Early trucks had them on the right.

At the time when the sticker happened, we went to a church where the pastor wrote a book with that name. Everyone around thought it was taboo, so I put it on to piss them off. Lots of Dutch CRC and reformed around here-wife’s family included.

I'm reformed and was a member of a CRC in Chino, CA many years ago. Loved it!

The large pattern of holes was for an old Kayline tire carrier that spanned the back of the truck with a can holder on either side of the spare. The theory was that spreading the stress out across a wider area with steel plates would lessen the chances of stress cracking the tub.

The tire carrier itself ended up failing before the tub! :rolleyes:

The large pattern of holes was for an old Kayline tire carrier that spanned the back of the truck with a can holder on either side of the spare. The theory was that spreading the stress out across a wider area with steel plates would lessen the chances of stress cracking the tub.

The tire carrier itself ended up failing before the tub! :rolleyes:

Yep! I pulled that sucker off during the tear down! After getting all the pieces off, I couldn't remember which of the myriad of holes belonged to what. LOL. I'll get them all patched up and use a 4Plus to hold the tire and Rotopax next time. I don't plan to cut into the tub on this things rebirth!

The rectangular hole looks like where the back up light is attached. Does not put out a tremendous amount of light but it is original if you decide to go with it.

NICE! What color green is that? It is green right? It looks green on my monitor. :) I am thinking about installing at least one PIAA 3" LED back there to help with backing up... and getting tailgaters off my butt at night! :lol:

It is green; original color was a white color and PO did the green; I actually like it; chipping away in places but am good with that. Funny, my aim is to get everything back to stock (mostly) and working as it should and much of it is finding (and paying big money) for hard to find, obsolete, unobtanium stuff that only I care about--like the hard to find at any price seat handles--I am currently offering 150 for one handle--am sure if I go high enough (maybe $200-300 or maybe $500 or $1,000) someone will take their handle off their rig and sell it to me. Everyone has a price. The 40s are a sickness but I LOVE my 40. BTW--the PIAAs will accomplish your goal--I have them on the front of my 4Runner--very bright!

It is green; original color was a white color and PO did the green; I actually like it; chipping away in places but am good with that. Funny, my aim is to get everything back to stock (mostly) and working as it should and much of it is finding (and paying big money) for hard to find, obsolete, unobtanium stuff that only I care about--like the hard to find at any price seat handles--I am currently offering 150 for one handle--am sure if I go high enough (maybe $200-300 or maybe $500 or $1,000) someone will take their handle off their rig and sell it to me. Everyone has a price. The 40s are a sickness but I LOVE my 40. BTW--the PIAAs will accomplish your goal--I have them on the front of my 4Runner--very bright!

Please let us know WHAT SEAT HANDLES are we referencing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom