Hole in the rock trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
IMG_8182.JPG
The begining
The view from my CampTeq this morning

Ive always been interested in this trail. Post when and where you can !

It's a great trail. Enjoy:steer:

This trail has everything you could hope for on a 4WD trail/trip but on steroids. Be warned this is not a trip for the faint at heart it get any seasoned wheeler heart rate up more then once.

Teamed up with a few Land Cruiser enthusiast from GA, MA, and NV. - Big big thanks to these guys

Thinking nothing could make this trip more exciting it starts to rain at the end of the trail and a huge storm is coming. That night I experience one of the most intense violent storms I have ever camped in.

This will remain on my top 3 trips ever!

Picture - Me standing next to my 80 looking at the chute (look for the black lines) as it starts to rain
hole in the rok 5.10.2014 187.jpg

I did the HITR trail 8 years ago with the some of the Wasatch Cruiser and Rising Sun clan and had a blast. Great history and scenery, and a very technical trail with plenty of pucker factor...and to think they did it in wagons... ;)

Capture.GIF Okay - lenses can be tricky; this angle looks as if you are in contact, just how far away from the slope was your bumper?

ps: that's one of the best perspectives of that step I've seen. Wow - no wonder the rock is so scarred there.

Last edited:
For the 100 guys, we had an 06 100 series with us and he hit everything (HARD) made out of metal on his cruiser but it made it even thou it receive at lot of deduction in style points. Quote from the owner: it mades all kind of noises but until it quits Im not going to pay attention and keep going.:hillbilly:

View attachment 895850 Okay - lenses can be tricky; this angle looks as if you are in contact, just how far away from the slope was your bumper?

Real close...time for a detail:grinpimp:

I have video of going up...the 80 series makes it look effortless

IMG_8420.JPG

Last edited:
The guy with the bag hanging off his spare looks like he would never make it down that last step without breaking something. I know it'd be taking some serious paint off my trailer hitch, and if those nicks are from that step, getting out would take off my front bumper. We'd love to see that video... post when you get a chance. And thanks for the pics; the bumper to rock image was enough to say - not in my current rig.

The guy with the bag hanging off his spare looks like he would never make it down that last step without breaking something. I know it'd be taking some serious paint off my trailer hitch, and if those nicks are from that step, getting out would take off my front bumper. We'd love to see that video... post when you get a chance. And thanks for the pics; the bumper to rock image was enough to say - not in my current rig.

That is a 100 series:moon:Going down was easy aside from the noise, I thought he was going to rip the spare off.:eek: AOE custom made the rear bumper and did an unbelievable strong job. Going up (unassisted,yes!) was totally exciting enough to of made a Toyota commercial. The biggest bummer on the trip was it took so many attempts when it happen we didnt get it on video. I would of bet big if would never of happen.:smokin:

Great pics and write-up Phil. I am still riding on the jealous train. I have spoken with Brian and Paul and they are still on cloud nine. Said it was epic…weather and all.

Best,

Smitty

Great pics and write-up Phil. I am still riding on the jealous train. I have spoken with Brian and Paul and they are still on cloud nine. Said it was epic…weather and all.

Best,

Smitty

Thanks Smitty, Without you the trip would of never happened for me. A big thanks goes out to you :clap:

IIRC, it is a lot easier to get there by boat Phil...

Storms up in that area can be crazy. Been in a few on Powell that were very memorable.

Neat trip!

Phil, so the 100 made it up that step on his own? No winches lifting the front enough to make tire contact - that's actually pretty incredible. Wish I had been there to see it.

Are HITR trail and road one and the same? The one I am thinking of runs mostly parallel with Burr Trail. I did some research into that area last year as I was going to explore Burr Trail and parts of the GSENM, and don't remember HITR road being that technical. Are you saying a 100 would have problems on a trail like this? (rethinking selling the 80 :hmm:). Thanks for the pics, would love to visit someday.

Are HITR trail and road one and the same? The one I am thinking of runs mostly parallel with Burr Trail. I did some research into that area last year as I was going to explore Burr Trail and parts of the GSENM, and don't remember HITR road being that technical. Are you saying a 100 would have problems on a trail like this? (rethinking selling the 80 :hmm:). Thanks for the pics, would love to visit someday.

HITR Road and Trail is night and day. Anything can make it down HITR road. HITR trail is not 100 friendly not to say it cant be done but a 100 will never be an 80. Sorry 100 :princess:'s

The HITR road is super family friendly if you hike and like ultra cool slot canyons. The Burr trail starting from Boulder is one of the most scenic trips you will take. Be aware the Bull frog Ferry to cross Lake Powell to Halls Crossing is NOT running at the present time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom