Hold key in "Start" position for 30 seconds to turn over.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
The cruiser has recently developed a bad habit. About 5-10% of the time- when I go to start the truck it just flat doesn't start. No clicking, no humming, nothing. Like the battery is dead. My (very)cheap volt meter shows the battery is OK.

If, however- you turn the key all the way to the start position, and hold it in that position for maybe 30 seconds, the truck starts. It starts as normal, other than you had to hold the start position for 30 seconds instead of 1-2.

Ideas?

The battery is getting on the old side. But, it's that stupid expensive Die-Hard Platinum Marine battery that is too big for the battery tray, and weighs almost 100 lbs. I'm not convinced it's the battery because the truck does eventually start on it's own.

From my research on the topic, this is normally the contacts in the starter needing to be replaced.

Starter is only 2-3 years old. Replaced the original unit with a new one fresh out of Dan's hands.

Use your cheap voltmeter to check for power into and out of the ignition switch, then the same at the transmission range switch. This sounds like poor contact somewhere, so those are the other two likely areas besides the solenoid itself.

Last edited:
Have someone hold the key in start position while you check voltage on the starter. If it's low meaning under 11 volts, your not getting adequate power to the starter. Most likely the ignition switch or bad connection.

You can also do with the solenoid option or simply a relay to send power to the starter directly from the battery every time the key is in start position. Both ways will most likely fix your problem.

Wow, great information guys. Thanks! I will dig into the solenoid issue....

PS, I ordered two of the Ford Solenoids. Why two? My wife's escalade is doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom