Builds Hokie's 2003 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I wanted to start a build thread for my 2003 LX470 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. This thread will serve as my build thread as well as a detailing journey with the truck for those who may be interested. First off, a little background on the truck.

2003 LX470
164k miles
Maintenance records since new
Southern truck
100% stock when I purchased it

First thing that I did was check it over after it's long drive from ATL to New York. Fresh oil change and filter was done. Replaced the filter with a M1 M209 high cap filter and M1 5W-30 oil. The records showed that all the fluids were flushed within the last 5-10k miles and after checking them all, that was true.

Once I checked over the truck and realized it didn't need anything, I started doing the first modifications. First up was removing the running boards. Simple task, took around 30 minutes.

Before:

After:

I'm digging the no-boards look and am happy I did it.

Next up was new tires as I had an old plug work it's way out of one of the tires and realized that the tires had quite a few plugs in them. I went with (5) BFG K02 275/70/18 courtesy of Dunn Tire. They look great to me at stock height and I have no clearance issues in N or Low. Spare fits as well with the larger tire.

Low:

N:

High:

Last edited:
Next up was to tackle detailing the wheels. The rest of the truck will be detailed once I have a full weekend free to dedicate to it, as it'll be quite the project.

Since this will see snow/salt I will be protecting the truck to the best of my ability. I have been detailing cars for a few years now and the truck will be getting the full treatment; decomtamination, paint correction and ceramic coating. I started cleaning up the wheels with some Iron-X first before tackling them. This product dissolves the iron particles that accumulate on the wheels from the brake pads.

Before touching them:

Iron-X at work. It turns purple as it's dissolving the particles. This is something that normal cleaning can not remove.

Next I hit them with a few rounds of cleaning with Mother's Foaming Wheel Cleaner and here are the results. There was a fair amount of oxidation/corrosion on the wheel barrels. They were worked on as well.

After some work on the barrels, removing the tar build up and knocking down some of the corrosion they were ready for coating. I wiped them down to get rid of any remaining oils and applied the ceramic wheel coating to the faces and barrels. These wheels are finally ready to take on the elements!

Insides:

Step by step:

Last edited:
Okay my rim cleaning method kind of works but is a totally pain in the butt and you need to do it at least two times...

Thanks for the tip with the Purple wonder..
image-XL.jpg

I use Red Power on my wheels. I cleanEd and waxed them before I got the new tires on. Any reason for the old school balancing weights?

I use Red Power on my wheels. I cleanEd and waxed them before I got the new tires on. Any reason for the old school balancing weights?
Not sure. Just the ones the tire place used. If the wheels were in better shape I probably would have requested they used the adhesive weights. Not a big deal to me like they would have been on my sports cars.

Last edited:
More detailing done today. Today I tackled the leather which didn't look to have been cleaned it quite some time. I did clean it quickly when I got the truck home but it really needed some time put into it to really extract the dirt and grime embedded into the leather.

I started with a leather cleaner but it wasn't quite cutting it so I switched to Einszett Deep Plastic Cleaner (one of my favorite interior products) which was able to get the majority of the grime out. I used a horsehair leather brush and had good results!

Before:

50/50 shots

After:

Back seat before:

After:

Bonus pic of her after a quick bath. Topped with GTechniq C2V3. First time using it so we'll see how it holds up.

Sunset:

Last edited:
I'd be afraid to wheel your truck. It's way too clean!

Haha welcome Chris... Nice to see another VT grad [who spent a bit of time with CCVT] on here with a 100 series. Still have the BMW?

I'd be afraid to wheel your truck. It's way too clean!

Haha don't worry, she'll see her fair share of off road action. I like to clean them up the best I can and use ceramic coatings on all exterior surfaces because it makes cleaning it super easy! The coatings provide a super slick surface so the dirt/mud/salt/snow comes off with ease.

Haha welcome Chris... Nice to see another VT grad [who spent a bit of time with CCVT] on here with a 100 series. Still have the BMW?

Hey man! I saw your build thread and wondered if it was the same JP from CCVT or not haha. Glad you're on here too. I sold the 335 a while ago once I maxed out the platform on stock turbos. I got in a pretty bad rear end accident with it and decided to part with it. Then spent a little time with a 2011 Tahoe Z71. Then got a 2013 Audi S4 which I just sold and now I have this beast. Going to be a fun project as it's pretty different from what I've had in the past.

My brother Matt sold his BMW and picked up a pristine FJ62 which got me looking at these trucks.

Hey man! I saw your build thread and wondered if it was the same JP from CCVT or not haha. Glad you're on here too. I sold the 335 a while ago once I maxed out the platform on stock turbos. I got in a pretty bad rear end accident with it and decided to part with it. Then spent a little time with a 2011 Tahoe Z71. Then got a 2013 Audi S4 which I just sold and now I have this beast. Going to be a fun project as it's pretty different from what I've had in the past.

My brother Matt sold his BMW and picked up a pristine FJ62 which got me looking at these trucks.

Haha yup same guy. I got a job out in Colorado, sold/gave away all my vehicles except one of the Miatas, and got rear ended in it by a semi as I'm pulling off 81 to get my moving truck and trailer... got out here and really needed something that could handle the weather we get and wanted to be able to occasionally tow when I go buy more stupid stuff (like the five Miatas I currently have). I've enjoyed mine a lot so far, really makes for a perfect daily given that I bought a house a mile or so away from work and basically have no commute. Has your brother graduated yet? Any pics of his FJ62?

Haha yup same guy. I got a job out in Colorado, sold/gave away all my vehicles except one of the Miatas, and got rear ended in it by a semi as I'm pulling off 81 to get my moving truck and trailer... got out here and really needed something that could handle the weather we get and wanted to be able to occasionally tow when I go buy more stupid stuff (like the five Miatas I currently have). I've enjoyed mine a lot so far, really makes for a perfect daily given that I bought a house a mile or so away from work and basically have no commute. Has your brother graduated yet? Any pics of his FJ62?

Sounds like me, I moved to buffalo and needed something for the snow but that I could also have some fun with. I'll be picking up something fast again in the spring/summer hopefully.

Yeah he graduated. This is his truck along with his Datsun. He has a thread on here somewhere about it with more details. I love my LX so far though. Once I finish prepping it and protecting it, I'll be able to start modifying it.

View attachment 1333978

IMG_4369.JPG

I have a soft spot for hokies - went to Radford. Used to go to football games during Mike Vicks time!

Got a link for the stuff you used on the leather seats. They turned out great. I need to do some cleaning on mine right now.

Thank you! Part of why I am posting all of the detailing work done on this truck is to help others out if they want.

I ended up using this cleaner: it is meant for plastics but is fine to use on sealed leather when you follow up with a conditioner.
Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger NEW LOOK!

and this brush:
Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush

and I have a ton of different conditioners but I ended up using this one for this project:
1Z Einszett Leather Care

My products were older though so this is what mine looked like...

Last edited:
Thank you! Part of why I am posting all of the detailing work done on this truck is to help others out if they want.

I ended up using this cleaner: it is meant for plastics but is fine to use on sealed leather when you follow up with a conditioner.
Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger NEW LOOK!

and this brush:
Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush

and I have a ton of different conditioners but I ended up using this one for this project:
1Z Einszett Leather Care

My products were older though so this is what mine looked like...
Untitled by Chris Merritt, on Flickr
Thanks a ton for the info. I'll give that a shot. I'll try and document it and let you know how it goes.

My passenger low beam has been intermittent since I bought it. Traced it to the leads going to the bulb fraying apart. Bought a new cap off eBay for $29 and put it in today!

P/N 81125-6A080 I wasn't able to find the correct part # online so I had to call the local dealer to get it.

Last edited:
Continuing the winter-prep on the truck. Got some weathertechs for the front and back seats. The cargo area mat (for no 3rd row) is still in transit. I got it without the 3rd row fitment because those mats are skinnier and do not cover the whole cargo area. I will just take the mat out if I ever use the 3rd row seats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom