Builds Hokie's 2003 LX470 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had the infamous clunk from a standstill so I ordered a decent grease gun and some good old Amsoil grease. Pumped all the zerks on the driveshafts full of it and my clunk is gone! I was able to grease the front shaft through the oil drain cutout.

IMG_4536.JPG

Last edited:
Need to do this as well...my gun broke and need a new one.

Need to do this as well...my gun broke and need a new one.

So far I like this gun. It had good reviews on Amazon and it worked great for me. One thing is, the knurled end piece that attached to the zerk needs to be broken loose and unscrewed a rotation or two. That gives the tip the flex it needs to grab onto the fitting. The buyers who did not do this left bad reviews about how it doesn't attach to the fittings but it just needs to be unscrewed a bit.

Had the infamous clunk from a standstill so I ordered a decent grease gun and some good old Amsoil grease. Pumped all the zirks on the driveshafts full of it and my clunk is gone! I was able to grease the front shaft through the oil drain cutout.

View attachment 1341580

What are the two different oils there in the pic, and why do you need them? I see one is EP and one is not. Can I just use this Red Line synthetic EP grease? https://smile.amazon.com/Red-Line-8...8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Amsoil+synthetic+EP+grease

What are the two different oils there in the pic, and why do you need them? I see one is EP and one is not. Can I just use this Red Line synthetic EP grease? https://smile.amazon.com/Red-Line-8...8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Amsoil+synthetic+EP+grease

I bought two different greases, one is moly based one is lithium based. I read that the spiders like the lithium grease and then moly in the yokes. However, I'll be experimenting to see which works better. I did all the zerks with moly this time around.

That one should work just fine for you as it has moly content.

Thanks. I didn't see Amsoil available at Amazon, but I know Redline is usually a good brand.

Thanks. I didn't see Amsoil available at Amazon, but I know Redline is usually a good brand.

Yup, I bought the my grease directly from amsoil themselves. I've had good luck with them in the past and they are a very well respected brand that makes top notch greases.

My cable finally showed up so I was able to get Techstream up and running. First install attempt was a big fail but the second install worked great! I was able to read my pressures and they seem to not be too bad, surprisingly! Front is a little high so I'll crank the TB's a little bit.

I was sitting in the driver seat so that may be the -0.1 FL reading.

Front: 7.4
Rear: 6.4

30684546056_84efb55a96_o.png

Last edited:
Hey Hokie, I was wondering what you thought of the ride change with the KO2's going from your other set?

Hey Hokie, I was wondering what you thought of the ride change with the KO2's going from your other set?

Not too much of a ride change honestly. Still a very quiet tire for an AT tire and comfortable. I love the KO2 tires. Had them on my 2011 Tahoe Z71 as well.

So how off do the Weathertech liners look to the naked eye? They look pretty different in the pics and I've been trying to decide if I want to just do black and avoid the possible frustration of mismatched tones

So how off do the Weathertech liners look to the naked eye? They look pretty different in the pics and I've been trying to decide if I want to just do black and avoid the possible frustration of mismatched tones

I don't notice it at all. You can't really see much of the carpets when these are installed. I'm glad I went with beige as I think the black would have bothered me much more.

I don't notice it at all. You can't really see much of the carpets when these are installed. I'm glad I went with beige as I think the black would have bothered me much more.
Fair enough haha. I've had black all weather mats in every vehicle I've owned so I went ahead and ordered the front row in black, I'll see how I feel and then either order the second row in black or order a set in tan

Well until I can source some SC430 projectors, tsx-r lenses and the other parts needed for my retrofit, I got some Phillips X-tremeVision bulbs to try and improve my output. My conclusion, improvement is slight but noticeable. Sorry for the glare in the after picture. Top (sylvania bulbs that came with truck + fogs), bottom (X-tremevision).

DC5C0254-ECCD-4E7B-95B4-AE59F2AF47DA.jpg

Well I went down to Virginia for Thanksgiving and a friend of ours was kind enough to let me use his lift to POR my truck. Took approximately 6 hours of wash, prep and application time (plus drying time) to do 2 coats on the chassis, rear axle, braces, front suspension arms, skid, etc. I still need to top coat it but I'll do that over Christmas break maybe. Came out well though! Prepped and cleaned the entire underside and then used metal etch to prep.

She's ready to take on Buffalo now! Here are a few before and after pictures of it.

20BFF3FC-0C29-4536-8D43-4E31741B2C9C.jpg

7EDC4685-5BE1-4AC8-A9D7-F9908EB28281.jpg

Well until I can source some SC430 projectors, tsx-r lenses and the other parts needed for my retrofit, I got some Phillips X-tremeVision bulbs to try and improve my output. My conclusion, improvement is slight but noticeable. Sorry for the glare in the after picture. Top (sylvania bulbs that came with truck + fogs), bottom (X-tremevision).

View attachment 1354547
Are you aware of the easy to source tsx projector swap? They're what I'm running and greatly compareable to the sc's.

Are you aware of the easy to source tsx projector swap? They're what I'm running and greatly compareable to the sc's.

Yup, I'm aware. I gave up on the SC's. Looking at the TSX, RX350 and morimoto d2s 4.0s right now. Just need to decide which I want to go with and if I want bixenon or not. Hoping to order from TRS's sale either tonight or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom