Hog Rings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunbar

SILVER Star
Threads
Time to install my new SOR seat bottom foams.

When replacing the seat bottom covers will I need to have new hog rings or can I re-use the old ones? It might be easier to cut the old ones off and install new ones but I have no experience there.

I hear hog rings are available at feed stores and are actually used on hogs noses to keep them from rooting out of their pins. Probably available at upholstery shops too.

Anyone know how many I might need?

Thanks,

Dunbar

Bigger hardware stores have them too. A box is a couple of dollars, and the special pliers are cheap also. I've only found them by the box, which contains 50 or more - plenty for the seat bottom.

Dunbar said:
Time to install my new SOR seat bottom foams.

When replacing the seat bottom covers will I need to have new hog rings or can I re-use the old ones? It might be easier to cut the old ones off and install new ones but I have no experience there.

I hear hog rings are available at feed stores and are actually used on hogs noses to keep them from rooting out of their pins. Probably available at upholstery shops too.

Anyone know how many I might need?

Thanks,

Dunbar

Yea, you could reuse old hog rings if you remove them carefully.
But I strongly recommand that use new hog rings.
I'd upholstered my front seats last month.
It's not difficult job but time consumming work. So, using a new hog rings make your work faster.
I can't remember the number of needed hog rings exactly now. Sorry,
But it might needed about 25 hog rings per seat.

Have nice cruising !

It is so not worth it to reuse old hog rings. Using new ones will make things go exponentially quicker, both because you can cut off the old ones, and because new ones are already the right shape to load into the pliers (GET THESE!!!) and clamp into place.

Oh, and practice before you start sticking those rings into anything valuable like your new seat foam. Trust me on this one. :)

Ace Hardware carries them and the hog ring pliers(which are worth getting)

also farm stores, feed stores, horse stores ect

Use a combo of hog rings and zip ties makes life much easier.

polarweasel said:
It is so not worth it to reuse old hog rings. Using new ones will make things go exponentially quicker, both because you can cut off the old ones, and because new ones are already the right shape to load into the pliers (GET THESE!!!) and clamp into place.

Oh, and practice before you start sticking those rings into anything valuable like your new seat foam. Trust me on this one. :)

Agree, get the pliers and new rings, cheap investment.

BTW, I'm an experienced hog-nose-ringer. If you ever have to do this, be sure to get ear protection first. There is NOTHING louder and more shrill than an old sow that has been rung before and knows what's coming.... Pigs are smart, and they remember what it felt like the first time...

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will buy new hog rings and cut the old ones off. I think I have a pair of hog ring pliers and will take them with me when I buy the rings to compare it to the pliers for sale. I have a bunch of tools my father gave me and two of them look like possible hog ring pliers.

Soooeee!

Dunbar

that reminds me of my bungee shelf thing in my 80 I made

18548142.jpg

hog rings and zip ties :)

dd113 said:
Use a combo of hog rings and zip ties makes life much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom