Hmmmmm....sloooooow sixty....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't have any pictures because it's going straight to Proffitt's, but yesterday I ordered a 4.70:1 Marlin Toybox for my old beast. I am SO psyched, it was a chunk of change but the crawl ratio (4.95x4.7x1.99x3.70: 170:1) plus the torque of the 4BT should really slow the big bitch on the trails. I'm shooting for the best of both worlds, highway driveability (since I'm building for long trips) and some slow finesse for medium rockcrawling.

The H55F version is only available in the 4.70:1 version.

I can't wait to finish this project!!!

Hey Henry-I was at Mudraks the other day and was considering buying that Toybox if you ended up passing on it. I'm in the middle of a T-case rebuild to go behind my brand new H55. I'm glad you took it because I need some time to recover financially from the H55, new clutch, transfer rebuild etc. I bet it will be sweet once you get done with it. Make sure you post up your experience, and how you end up modifying the cross-member and the linkages. I'll have one with a year if the initial H55 + Toybox experience is good.

Yeah, Gary told me! I've been traveling a lot for work, and calling Marlin's is an experience, but I was finally able to connect with David and placed the order.

I'll make sure I get a lot of pics of the crossmember work.

Exiled said:
The H55F version is only available in the 4.70:1 version.

Wow, is that for sure, Henry? I just picked one up for PacToy, I guess he got a bargain.

Dave

Sweet! :cool:

I'm surprised you've got a 1.99 TCase and 3.70s. I assumed you've been turning the 35s with 2.28 and 4.88s.

With my 4 speed, 2.28s and 4.56s I'm getting around 170:1. You're going to love it.

You're just going to have to plan an "expedition" out west. ;)

:cheers:

Hey PJ, when are you going to put an H55 in that beast?

Oh and congrats. That baby was going to be mine, but I need to turbo my 1HZ first.

You're going to love it. I have a long wheelbase samurai that's 260 to 1. Nothing else like it.

Tom

pismojim said:
Sweet! :cool:

I'm surprised you've got a 1.99 TCase and 3.70s. I assumed you've been turning the 35s with 2.28 and 4.88s.

With my 4 speed, 2.28s and 4.56s I'm getting around 170:1. You're going to love it.

You're just going to have to plan an "expedition" out west. ;)

:cheers:

I don't have 3.70's, I have the stock 4.11's. I'm going down to 3.70s because the 4BT likes to run at low RPM's and I need to get it up to at least 75 MPH comfortably. The 1.99 is a bummer, but that's what came with the H55F and I never got around to swapping it. I do have an extra split case in the 2.276, but I'm going to sell that one to help fund the project.

So yeah, about 170:1, I can't wait! :)

Henry sorry just found this old thread. Hope it is not too late - before you go down to the 3.70 I would double check, I would put money that you will be fine with 37's and 4.10s and your H55f. I think you might be too fast otherwise! You might even be too fast with 35's and 3.70s, and you should be able to hit 75 I think fine even with the H55F. I hit 90 with 35's, 4.10, with the NV4500 at 2200 RPMs. The 4BT is governed at 2500 but can wrap upto 3200 I heard. I like to keep it at about 2100-2200 RPMS but 6BT guys run them at 2500 all the time. It is the same stroke on both engines. I think you will be much happier (and cheaper) with 4.11. So my $.02.

Last edited:
It was my dream berfore my Marks 3.08 low gears .. but never forget your dreams .. ! :D

One point, H55F 1st gear is 4.84:1 or in H42 4.92:1 ;)

Take a pics of these beauty piece of iron .. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom