Hmmm.... is this board dominated by 80ers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
terrific info here and many good folks.
Does look at times like the 80 owners are out in great numbers with strong opinions and the 100 ones are either scarce or shy, though... <G>
I imagine not too many 100s out there doing serious wheelin', unless the owner had an 80 before.
Or maybe the 100s foks are all out working overtime to pay for their rigs (that would include me very soon...)?
100 owners of the world, unite, and stand for your rig(ht)s!
:)
Eric

100 owners of the world, unite, and stand for your rig(ht)s!

But the 80 RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Mike

Ummm , I think I can see a gaggle of them at Starbucks now ... yeah , they're 100's . Seems to be a mass gold-package polishing going on ...

Seriously , the 100 owners that have the stones to have made the leap to non-grocery-getter mode are almost all here ... the ones that haven't found this site yet , willlll be here .. they just don't know it yet :D

You should be able to find a few good 100 mentors here ... keep looking , and check out the archives as well . Lexx ? comes to mind ...

Cheers ,

Tyler

PS : I think the secret handshakes are nearly identical , though during the 100 shake they tend to raise a brow slightly .. :flipoff2:

guys, I think I'm in trouble! the next 100 on the horizon does indeed have a gold package...
I certainly could not take that one offroad, now could I? yikes!
Or is that offset by the fact that is has a wood package too? (you know, trees, forests etc)
<G>
E

best way to handle the gold package is to tear it off and either throw it away, or paint it with bed liner and put it back on. :D

[quote author=thorvald link=board=2;threadid=6747;start=msg55361#msg55361 date=1067199916]
best way to handle the gold package is to tear it off and either throw it away, or paint it with bed liner and put it back on. :D
[/quote]

Nahh.
Best way to handle the gold package, wood trim, Pioneer or Nakamichi sound system, power windows, power doors, power moonroof, electronic or air lockers (no more manual hubs!), towing package, variable length remote-controlled antenna, pink and green floral print side window curta... uh, and all of the other luxurious stuff on your cruiser is - - - to just enjoy it.

The original buyer paid a lot of money for all that stuff. It all depreciated pretty much the minute he drove that new truck off the lot, and we got it for free, basically.

LT
8)

well, that would be true about some of the above, well, all except for the curtains and gold stuff, most of it being indeed pleasant and/or useful...
but as far as I'm concerned, the gold package at least does not appeal to my sense of esthetics, and I always wonder if the folks who buy it don't do it just to show off in a tacky way. Not sure I want to be stereotyped in the same category...
(Was there a pink package especially made for Junk? <G>)
E

Im a proud 100 owner, previous 80 owner. I do mild offroading, but these things still cost too much to do anything more. Give it a few more years.

-Matt

I'll use e9999's inquiry to say hello. I've been lurking around for a few weeks. I must say this is the best 80/100 forum I've found, by far.

I've had my 100 for about six months, and have to say I love it. Yeah, I'll admit I haven't off-roaded it yet, but it's time will come.

Although I'm new to LC's, I'm not to Toyota. I've got a '79 4x4 Hilux (son of LC?) that I've had since new. Terrific truck. Also got a '94 4Runner that's given great service. So, I expect nothing less from the LC.

Later,

Eric,
A little history lesson...

A large number of the original contributors to the 80/100 section came from the old SOR forum where there was a section for the 80's and 100's. SOR was dominated by 80 technical discussions; I'd guess over 99% 80's related in the 80/100 section. The xxCool groups on Yahoo are seperated in to 80sCool (International), 80sCool USA, and 80sCool Oz; with the majority of traffic on the Int'l and Aus lists. They have a seperate list for the 100s.

When ih8mud (Woody and his minions) took the homeless SOR folks in, it was suggested to him that the 80s and 100s should be split. He (correctly) predicted that there wasn't enough traffic on the 100s to warrant a dedicated section and there would be enough in common between the two models to generate traffic. If and when the 100 traffic warrants, he said he would reconsider.

I don't think we're anywhere close to having enough traffic to justify a dedicated 100 section though there is very little in common between the two models. In fact, there is more in common between the FJ62 and the FJ80 than there is between any of the 80s and the 100s.

There are about 5 or 10 UZJ100 owners in the US that post here on ih8mud and probably some more that lurk. Drexx and a guy from Az are about the only two that are semi-seriously wheeling their 100s... at least they're the only ones that have let us know about their trucks and what they are doing.

-B-

The 100 is a mall cruiser, only good for picking up toys for the kids.

I like the tractor.
Sean

In a semi-serious reply to the question, I think Matt has the right answer. These UZJ100s are still too expensive to take off the road in any serious way. I think most of us lurking or posting with UZJ100 Cruisers are using them on-road at least 90 or 95 percent of the time, and not really "wheeling" as these guys define it, certainly I'm not rock climbing like the Colorado and California posters.
Personally, I bought my 99 last spring and have used it mostly Interstate 30 and 40 (and I-20 and 85 through Atlanta) from Texas to NC and back a few times. The 100 series has done +2500-mile cross country trips this summer and fall with fabulous ride, handling and economics.
On the off-road side, it takes the Buncombe County (NC mountains) back roads and fire trails like a goat, but it's been mostly dry when I was up there so really not that difficult. Our place is kind of hard to get to for anything except 4WD, and the LC makes it look easy. Local j**p and Subie owners have noticed and started asking how we like the LC.
My wife likes the UZJ100 Cruiser so much she may take it off my hands, in which case I'll be free to buy an 80 that can do a few more interesting trails. I've got a couple friends in the Dallas car biz on the lookout now for a 96 or 97 mall Cruiser with one owner and low miles. There's quite a few of those left in Park Cities and North Dallas, just waiting for the fall deals on LX 470s, Sequoias and TLCs. I might just get lucky.
LT

8)

Here are some pics of the modded 100's.

http://www.pbase.com/roane10

Here is my 100. All poser shots!

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/slater_rd_plt

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/inbox

I moved from an 80 to 100 because of all the onroad and using it as a family truckster. This thing will go off road however I never seem to have the time, new baby and another on the way.

I will have to be a geek and say I like the v8, seat heat and fold down arm rests.

I have 77k miles and plan on keeping it for sometime.

Most of the modded 100's are out west.

uzj100

In the case of a new '03 for example, it takes a bit of time to recover from the $62,000.00 hit to the billfold before the rock bashing begins :rolleyes:

D-

Run away from that one.

[quote author=thorvald link=board=2;threadid=6747;start=msg55361#msg55361 date=1067199916]
[/quote]

You have it all wrong, you leave it on, get some 33s or 35s on the 100, and then when you see some sob stuck in his H2 on a semi-hard trail, look at him and with the straightest face possible say, "Boy I didn't think you could even get stuck there, my soccer mom car, gold trim and all, didn't have any trouble clearing that." :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Cary

re: In the case of a new '03 for example, it takes a bit of time to recover from the $62,000.00 hit to the billfold before the rock bashing begins

You should try the LX470 in Canada. It's only $98,000 CDN. :eek:

That translates to $74,000 in real money but that doesn't really help much as our salaries/wages are about the same as the US except it's in funny money. ::)

The 100s seem way too big anyway, wouldn't fit on my favorite trails :whoops:

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom