HJ80 warning light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zuluzeugma

SILVER Star
Threads
Long time Landcruiser owner but brand new to a ‘92 HJ80 (LHD from Europe). I can’t seem to get a straight answer what this light means? Is this a check engine warning?

Parking brake? Also check brake fluid level

It cover all aspects of the brake system and is universal to all the landcruisers (and probably all toyotas) of that era.. It could be the wiring on the brake master cylinder cap.
Is it on all the time or does it only come on when you hit a bump or change direction?

It’s on all the time and brakes feel hard. Is there a transducer on the vacuum circuit? Any chance weak/loss of vacuum would trip it?

Hand brake switch
If your brakes are hard check vacuum and or stuck caliper.

It’s definitely not the handbrake light. There’s a very clear red ‘P’ light that goes away when the handbrake is dropped.

In the JDM HDJ81 that light is both the handbrake light and a general brake system warning light. There should be a sensor and float in the cap of the brake fluid reservoir that will turn the light on if the fluid gets too low.

It’s definitely not the handbrake light. There’s a very clear red ‘P’ light that goes away when the handbrake is dropped.

Can you post a pic of that?

Ok
Unplug the connector coming from your brake fluid reservoir.

So, tried to use my brake bleeding pump to see if I couldn’t draw enough vacuum to make the light go out and it wouldn’t build any vacuum so I got a bike pump and soapy water to try a positive pressure test to find the leak. I could hear the air going out the bottom of the vacuum canister so I pulled the canister and holy crap; completely rusted out (both clutch and brake side). The truck is generally rust free so this is a surprise. Must have got salty beach air in it on the Mediterranean coast at some point and rusted from the inside out.

F5BA71C2-F514-4A33-BC9A-71DDD3D0A9F7.jpeg

Cut out the bad metal; welded in new material and leak tested it (positive and negative pressure). Warning light went out immediately upon restarting. For those asking. This is a picture of the E-Brake light.

4C9EB99B-7190-4667-BB40-4090882E30D8.jpeg

Cut out the bad metal; welded in new material and leak tested it
I would have thrown it in the bin. Its only going to keep rusting. You can use aftermarket types or buy them new or used.

I didnt know there was an expansion tank.
Now I'm going to have to check. Maybe JDM is different from Euro Spec?
I have a tank-esque tank in my engine bay on the LH side firewall.

Goes to the Brake booster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom