Builds Hj75 Restoration - Help needed / wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone

Long time forum reader and first time poster.
This is my project, which I have been working on for 2 years. (Kids happened during).

I’m going to get this out there right off the bat.
I have never done this before, am not a mechanic and did not grow up with cars. I’m a farm lad, which will give it a go.

Having said that, I’m up to a point, where I need help or guidance, so please don’t judge me for my stupid questions.

Before I dive into the questions, here are a few photos, so you know what I have done so far.
You can also check out some more on Instagram @tasmanianphipps

EC3E5E2E-64D6-4161-AF29-381994321E14.jpeg

7343C67A-641F-463E-8697-D0EE74CCE030.jpeg

AED7CD1C-A7B2-4C20-BA6F-9204C35E51F3.jpeg

7B1A61F2-BFFA-4D35-927C-5DBCDCF8EDBD.jpeg

11788E68-E229-40DE-B06A-E781112EDA7C.jpeg

Looks good, although I would have done the engine bay in white.

Good work! What questions?

Its actually a FJ75

I need new glasses. I thought it was a 3F:doh:

Hi Guys,

Definitely a HJ75, it has a 2h with extractors.

First question was going to be around wiring as I was getting a “ticking” sound when turning the key. Replaced the battery and it has instantly fixed the issue, the old battery was rooted and did not have enough crank power, even though I charged it for 2 weeks prior on a trickle charger.

So first question:
How to a prime the fuel pump / engine. The fuel tank has obviously been unhooked and there is going to be air in the lines everywhere.
Could someone give me a step by step process?

That is what the fsm says. I would say do the steps but forget the steps on page 6 - 69 (cracking the injector lines). When you crank it, hold your foot down a bit and rev the motor to about 1200 - 1500rpm for 1 minute once it starts to get the fuel coming through. Almost no chance of bleeding it all out unless you spend all day doing it. If ya wanna do it the proper way just follow the fsm.

By the way, if you ever get a chance to buy a fsm (factory service manual) do it because they are worth every bit.

Also, your fuel filter breather plug is slightly different to the picture, but you'll find it on the side poking towards the air cleaner. The fsm shows a bit of clear tubing on the nipple, its probably not a bad idea considering it's a new engine bay, just drop it into a jerry. Easy job gool luck, hope that helps

20190717_183037.jpg

20190717_183055.jpg

Ok next questions:

How can I test the oil temp gauge is working? I had the engine up to running temp but oil didn’t move.

Tachometre gauge not working, how do I trouble shoot that? How does it actually work?

Last edited:
Check the oil pressure sending unit, it’s not uncommon for the wire to come off. Also people have been k ow to put the ground on the sending terminal which will also make it not work, ie wires are swapped at the sending unit.

I would start with that and go from there.

Cheers

Thanks SNLC, I’ll check it out.
The clip is pretty rooted, so I might replace that to ensure the connection is good as well.

Does anyone have any experience with Thermocure or have another good solution for cleaning the cooling system?

I attached a hose to flush the heating core, but need something to clean out the rust as per the photos below, where the thermostat sits.

E12DBDDC-DF6F-450E-A780-0D8C964AE330.jpeg

985F22A9-B454-42FD-B6D0-09C33668E085.jpeg

E5C0C59C-F692-4E47-A374-B659E0AF9EB1.jpeg

Ok next questions:

How can I test the oil temp gauge is working? I had the engine up to running temp but oil didn’t move.

Tachometre gauge not working, how do I trouble shoot that? How does it actually work?
Tacho plugs into the side if the belhousing I'm pretty sure. Cheak that is plugged in and that no fuse is blown. If neither is the case, there is most likely a bigger issue.

You can get a nozzle that attaches to the hose and an air compressor for flushing cooling system, works well I used one for cleaning a 1960 fb ute for its first clean looked like your plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom