HJ62 right to left hand drive conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisedeisel

Toyota's for life
Threads
I have tried ih8mud search but with no results. But maybe some one can point me in the right direction. I looking for either chopping the firewall out of a bj60 and installing into a hj60 body or... swapping out all the dash components, wiring and driver controls to the left hand side of the hj62. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Julian.

Someone did on MUD not that long ago. I believe they were also up near you as well. I can't find the thread though. They converted a HJ61 to LHD.

The reverse is pretty commonplace on import cars. It is a serious undertaking as everything north of the dash needs to be removed to gain access to firewall. Then the work begins on the firewall to cut and swap then seamseal and paint. Not exactly a quick conversion unless you're very proficient with cutting spot welds, rewelding, fitting sheet metal and then metal finishing then the final seamseal and paint.

Also keep in mind the steering gearbox needs to be refitted to the opposite side.

Totally doable, just a lot of work just to be 'normal'.

I did it a few years ago, and I would not do it again other than for a make work project.
BJ74 LHD Conversion

It was a royal PITA and while cool in the end, not at all worth it.

I've been driving RHD for over 10 years now and don't even notice it anymore.

Why the desire?

EDIT

I have a line on a hj61 with a good body and frame/axles. It needs engine and tranny. I know where 2 running bj60's are hiding and I think I can pick up them up for $1500 each. The hj61 for $500 maybe $750. Plus I convinced the wife that we need to sell her car to make more room for cruisers in the driveway. She's awesome!

I suppose I can just use the HJ61 wiring harness to run the 3b/h55 and keep it RHD. I always have wanted to drive stick with my left arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom