HJ61 tow rating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what a mostly stock HJ61 would be rated to tow?

-kevin

Just for practical reasons.

I suspect that the factory may over rate their vehicles. I also know that hitch, lift/spring choice, tire rating/size will all affect handling characteristics. I'm not new to towing and skill/confidence does play a factor. And in certain terrain, patience... ;)

-kevin

I towed ~5000lbs across the country, BC to PEI, in a stock HJ60, 2H.

I didn't break any land speed records but the trailer didn't push the truck around at all. I had an equalizing hitch, 6000 lb rating.

i just pulled a brand new 24 footer with 4000 lbs on it with my huge white F350 turbo diesel van and the brakes acted up on the trailer in the snow in ontario for a few km and it freaked me out. the idea of a 60 pulling 5000 lbs doesn't turn me on at all but each to their own...
i would rather be on the safe side should any unforseen happen...

"the idea of a 60 pulling 5000 lbs doesn't turn me on at all but each to their own..."

I wouldn't say it 'turned me on' but it was an adventure. I joined this site after I owned my 60 for a year and had just purchased this trailer. I was looking for towing ratios, etc, and I was a little worried. I should have researched it earlier but, you know, cart before the horse.

After all was said and done, 15000 kms later, the 60 handled the trailer very well, my only druther was another 50 horse and a nice drivers seat. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom