Hj61 Seat covers and carpet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone in here installed a new carpet set for a 61? It’s an 89 high roof. I assume that it’s the same as a 62? Also it’s got the front seats that say turbo on the backrest. Sound like to put some canvas covers on them. Can this be done?

Where is your rear heater located? Between front seats or under passenger seat? Carpet set I have found for sale has a cutout for rear heater between seats (FJ62 spec). And because of that they do not work with my -88 HJ60 that has the heater under passenger seat.

Thanks for the reply. Rear heater is located between the 2 front seats

Most new carpet sets are cut to fit so heater location won't matter. The features which will are the seat perches and (possibly) the PTO winch.

Since your HJ has the "TURBO" seats (made by Recarro) it will have the same low seat perches as the FJ-62's.

The factory PTO winch has an additional bulge on the left of the transmission tunnel. You may need to heat and stretch new carpet to accommodate it.

Use 1989 FJ-62 to order carpet if you can't find HJ listed. Right or Left handed shouldn't matter other than the accelerator pedal heel pad. Floor mats may have a cut out for the foot rest on -62's (because of the automatic transmission).

@dnp and @TRAIL TAILOR are the only decent carpet kits I've heard of. Both have install threads and pictures posted by customers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, pm's sent. I plan to eliminate the pro and install a 24v electric winch in place so that should not be an issue.

Does Trail Tailor sell carpets anymore? I think his carpets don´t have the cutout for rear heater at least I remember so by looking at pictures of his carpet sets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, pm's sent. I plan to eliminate the pro and install a 24v electric winch in place so that should not be an issue.

The bulge will not go away by replacing the winch. The winch is in the front but the pto on gearbox will still be there. And if you remove the pto from the gearbox the bulge in floor pan will still be there.
Bulge.JPG

Hate to clutter a thread....but does anyone here know if the “turbo” seats have the same frame size (actual seat area) as the USDM 62 seats?

They do not. Completely different animal. The geography of the interior dictates that it probably isn't too different. Same center console. Tighter fit between seat and door. They don't slide back as far, which sucks for tall people.

They even use a different mounting hole on the floor perch. If you look at your carpet covering the front perch, you will find a quarter sized plastic insert covering a second hole. One is for USDM seats, the other is for the Recarro 'TURBO's.

Last edited:
There are two models of the Turbo seats. Basic seats and then there is Recaro made Turbo seats. Recaro may be different but the basic one I think has same frame. At least they look same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom