Hj61 or Tacoma? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for that. Yeah glow screens seems like exactly what your saying. I’ll modi Fawk it a bit when the time comes. No pictures yet. Got another 2 busy weeks of work then I’ll get things sorted out.

Couple other things steering box needs slip adjusted and clunk in rear end on acceleration. knuckles are worn and needs a kit thrown at it. Comes with a kit and new t case kit as well.

Do you know any body in that area that has a white 40 with a V8?

Diesel DUH!

Is it on 38’s ? Used to be my neighbours not sure where it went if that’s the one your talking about.

Is it on 38’s ? Used to be my neighbours not sure where it went if that’s the one your talking about.
Not sure if it was wearing 38's. I was up Bornite Mountain the fall before last and he went by when I was loading up the quad out at the highway but he was gone before I could get over to say hello. Was just curious

Pretty sure it’s changed hands several times. Haven’t seen it in a while.

Sounds like you are going to be on your way with the 61. I got a t case kit and supplemented it
with some other seals and things from Georg at Valley Hybrids. The two seals between the transmission
and the 5th gear housing can break when you pull the long bolts out of the front half of the case -
if you do. He also got me some other little bits. Be worth a call just to see what he suggests,
certainly since you’re going to be in there.
If you decide to go for a low range kit from them - since you’re going to be in there - let me know
please I might be into simultaneous order.
Does it have a FF rear?

Sounds good I’ll look into that and stay in touch. We can split on shipping or whatever makes sense when the time comes. Yes it has FF in the rear so that’s a bonus. Both diffs open. Truck has been to Tuk and back as well several trips south and the charlottes and DD around here. Seems reliable enough. Some elbow grease....clutch throw out bearing likes to make some noise as well so that will need attention at the same time. Oh ya and the electric windows are shight. I have a parts bj60 that I was thinking about swapping n the manual windows. Quite a few annoying jobs really. But can pick away at them.

FF rear hub socket tool unless you can get it cheaper elsewhere,
Where I got my brand new Bosch 12V alternator and starter

I’ve averaged 4-6 days from Australia to Ladysmith by Australia Post. DHL is the best courier,
But not appreciably faster than post just because Australia post ships by air within 48 hrs
Canada Post and customs are how it gets bound up in shipping

Other thing is I was browsing tacomas for a while, and it seemed like every one I clicked on either had a new frame or it was "eligible" for a new frame...I like that. Eligible.

So basically, you can remove rust as one of the considerations, because Toyota has apparently spent Zero time in the last 30 years trying to deal with their frame rot issues.

I can't imagine how much those recalls have cost them, you'd think it was considerably more than a new method of frame coating at the factory would have cost, but what do I know.

If my 61 was LHD I wouldn't complain much as I drove it into the ground. Most parts are common to the rest of the 60's out there. Even rhd I can't find anything I'd rather drive, just seems a waste to wear out a cruiser on the highway sometimes. :meh:
you know all manufacturers rust right? domestic companies do not have some special kool aid they spray on their frames.

you know all manufacturers rust right? domestic companies do not have some special kool aid they spray on their frames.

Sure, metal always rusts, but Toyota has perfected it.
Google Tacoma frame recall. Or just go buy a 15 year old Tacoma and assume it's going to be in the same condition as a similar vintage domestic truck underneath.

Interesting thing from this article is that dana supplied the frames. Probably just a little bit of blame shifting in that decision. :rolleyes:

Sure, metal always rusts, but Toyota has perfected it.
Google Tacoma frame recall. Or just go buy a 15 year old Tacoma and assume it's going to be in the same condition as a similar vintage domestic truck underneath.

Interesting thing from this article is that dana supplied the frames. Probably just a little bit of blame shifting in that decision. :rolleyes:

100s more 🤣😂
100s more 🤣😂
100s more 🤣😂
Ooos
Forgot this one

Good for you. I'll mail you a participation badge.

If you really believe Toyotas rust problem is no worse than anything else I can't help you.

But this thread wasn't about f150's. It was about tacoma vs hj61, and many would assume rust problems had been addressed by manufacturers in the following decades, my point is that it hasn't been.

Last edited:
Good for you. I'll mail you a participation badge.

If you really believe Toyotas rust problem is no worse than anything else I can't help you.

But this thread wasn't about f150's. It was about tacoma vs hj61, and many would assume rust problems had been addressed by manufacturers in the following decades, my point is that it hasn't been.
🤣😂 if you’re really think Toyota’s rust worse than others I can’t help you.

Nothing to argue there, just look out your window. Flat as can be..... :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom