Hj61 or Tacoma? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
If you guys had a choice of either newish Tacoma or a LHD fairly rust free hj61 what would choose? 61 needs some love but not too much. Tacoma would likely be drama free for many years. 61 is a 5spd with open diffs and a pto winch. New vsv valve and converted to manual 4wd. In other words no vacuum. Mostly rust free but not for long...Thoughts? I don’t have pictures

A lot of things to consider but based only on the coolness factor it would be the 61..... but you should get the Tacoma and send the 61 to PG :grinpimp:

What matters more to you, having something you can get parts for from everywhere with modern amenities but you see on every corner. Or something special that takes a bit more thought owning.

Other thing is I was browsing tacomas for a while, and it seemed like every one I clicked on either had a new frame or it was "eligible" for a new frame...I like that. Eligible.

So basically, you can remove rust as one of the considerations, because Toyota has apparently spent Zero time in the last 30 years trying to deal with their frame rot issues.

I can't imagine how much those recalls have cost them, you'd think it was considerably more than a new method of frame coating at the factory would have cost, but what do I know.

If my 61 was LHD I wouldn't complain much as I drove it into the ground. Most parts are common to the rest of the 60's out there. Even rhd I can't find anything I'd rather drive, just seems a waste to wear out a cruiser on the highway sometimes. :meh:

Thanks for the replies guys.. I’ll probably make an SMRT choice and go for the 61. Keep the fleet standard with the 42.

They will make a great pair!
6527AF25-37D1-440A-A590-99D4BC978A7C.jpeg

Lol nope. -29 up here at work today. Kinda shight

61 for diesel, running gear, and what seems to be a fairly consistent holding/appreciation of value.

I own a Tacoma (2015) I don't drink fancy coffee unless I'm visiting at Ryan's house. :flipoff2:

Tacomas are in my opinion are the best of the little trucks these days. I chose the last year of the venerable 4.0 (1GR-fe) because I don't like the new 3.5 for many reasons. I also bought a manual, many others aren't available with three pedals.

-Newer Tacos suffer from a lot of electronic nannies which I don't like.
-They lack in nerdy tech options (nannies excluded)
-The frames rust if not cared for
-Tacoma forums are full of twits
-It's not available with a diesel
-It'll never be a Land Cruiser

The resale value is amazing, they are reliable, quiet, don't leak, don't rattle, haul dirtbikes and are built better than any of the domestics. Still not a Cruiser.

All good opinions. Thanks. Confirmation bias aside, I had to look that up lol. I think they are both decent options. Will likely go 61

Wrenching is not a problem. 12ht is a bit new but seems relatively simple enough
Good luck with your new acquisition. It would be a RHD I suspect? Does it have round headlights
or 4 square? AC? I just put final touches to my intercooler build and GTurbo install. Haven’t run it yet,
ran out of time. February should have it running. 12HT is super motor for where you live cause it
it primo long haul engine, those trips to PG and up north. Easy to work on since very little to do.

Look at condition of the throttle springs, there should be two. They are within a plastic tube,
causes them to corrode and break. Check the wiring on the glow screen, temperamental.
I can give you a source for the throttle springs in Europe. Throttle response is a bit
of an issue, but with the properly operating springs it is a non issue.
They have poor cabin heat from the front heater. Make sure the heater valve under the hood is
in good condition and the adjuster slider is lubricated.
I got more, but when you get into it call me. J

Thanks for that. It’s a converted left hand drive. High roof, was done nicely. In pretty good shape. Does need some maintenance and few odds and ends but it’s a solid start. Throttle seems touchy so maybe springs are in order. Heater needs love...

The twitchy throttle is kindof a fact of life with that engine. My only real complaint with it tho. I had the factory springs when I got the truck, driving home one day the throttle wouldn't return to idle and found they'd broken. Shortened the remaining spring and it's back to normal, or near enough. I'm not exactly the princess and the pea type, and I'm pretty used to the throttles sensitivity by this point.

You learn quickly to keep the foot right the **** away from the skinny pedal in low range if the ground is lumpy.

There's also a thing they'll do where the idle drops too low and almost stalls when changing gears. Mine did that at first (truck sat before I got it) but exercise mostly cured it before I had to go in.

The factory setup for the glow screen is pretty lame, doesn't even come on until close to zero, and I think the glow should come on considerably earlier.
Mine will fire instantly and then shut off again sometimes when it's really cold. Extra glow cures that, simple fix is to make it manual, but you can also ad resistors to change the timing. I got a fancy variable thing from nick that I can turn up when it's cold out to give it more glow time. Made a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom