Hj61 - hitch class and Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up my first 60 series and first diesel. A real nice hj61 from out west. I'd like to install a hitch and, if it can be safely done, I'd like to tow my lx450, with the h j, wheeling. I'd rather not drive 2 - 3 hours in the LX with the KO2s on ... not to mention driving the LX home with all the mud and gravel. I'd rather just tow the LX to and fro. I would really appreciate any advice on hitch class, a source for it, trailer and towing. Previous owner has a ball hitch just bolted into the four holes in the rear bumper. I know that's not going to work :)

The lx450 is near 5000 lbs. Are you going to flat tow it? Or put it on a trailer? The trailer will put you over 6,000 lbs, so it makes a difference in what hitch you need. And that's a lot of weight for a 6,000 to 6,500 lb Hj61 to tow. It can be done. People are doing it all the time, but you have to pay a lot of attention and be very careful.

So, to be clear, you want to use a 40 year old rig to tow a much newer rig to the trail, wheel the new rig, and then get back in the older rig to drive home?

Last edited:
I hope there are no hills where you are towing. What is the gearing on that 61? I've had my 12HT for 10 years,
I towed an FJ40 once with an aluminum tandem hauler. Not a towing engine.

I hope there are no hills where you are towing. What is the gearing on that 61? I've had my 12HT for 10 years,
I towed an FJ40 once with an aluminum tandem hauler. Not a towing engine.
Would agree100%. My son towed a 60 (less motor and trans) with a dolly behind his 60 with a 12HT. Did not fair too well as he had to work hard keeping his temps within a safe range. Said he’s never attempt that again.

I would not test the waters with that much weight unless you 61 is mechanically top notch.. even then i still would not trust the brakes with that much weight.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input and that's exactly what I needed to know. Given that it was a diesel I thought it might be a better Towing vehicle but I also realize that there may be a downside. I don't want to off road with the HJ61 ... just to nice. I may just pull a trailer with the KO2s and swap ...at the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom