Hj61 growling noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi masters! - 89 Hj61 lifted with +50mm dobinsons springs. Nasty growling/grinding noise from middle of the car when coasting light footed 4wd engaged. Growls even more when hubs free and 4wd. Driving 2wd no noises hubs locked or free. Front shaft removed, no noise at all. Is this front shaft angle problem or could it be t-case? Pinions are tight and smooth as front shaft u-joints pretty good too. Very minimal play on t-case front output. Oils are good, just some fine glitter in magnet no chunks or shavings.

Agreed with OSS... that sounds like transfercase problems. Possibly transmission as well.

Fine glitter sounds like it could be bearings and races going out of tolerance slowly. The idler shaft in my transfercase was absolute toast and was allowing the bearings and gears to chatter when I was coasting to a stop with the transmission engaged. If you coast with the transmission in neutral does the sound stop? If so, it’s t case/transmission related.

Front prop shaft remowed with 4wd no noise.. That makes me think shaft
Add grease to the u joints and slip yolk and see it that changes the noise. It could just be super dry or dirty.

Also, have you checked the gear oil in the front diff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom