HJ61 axles disc conversion with parking brake options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of HJ61 axles that I am putting under my 55. The axles came with a rear disc brake conversion flange already attached and I was told it would take fj60 discs and calipers...

So I ordered a set of calipers, discs and pads from Rockauto, but they don't fit (I randomly picked 1986 FJ60 parts). The bore in the rotor is too small and the calipers are offset.

I also have the challenge of needing a parking brake for inspection (not a hydrolock, a mechanical brake).

So, let say I am starting from scratch (again), is there a kit being made now that would work? Do the HJ61 full floater axles require different rotors than the fj60?

Any help appreciated - when I searched the threads came up with a lot of old dead links.

20201008_083710.jpg

FJ-61 full float's came with the same drum brakes as the semi floats. You have a modification. Old threads used to describe using Chevy Impala calipers on 60 rotors. I don't recall the years or even who was selling the bracket.

E-brake solution was a drive shaft clamp mounted to the transfer case and a small disk sandwiched between the case output shaft and the driveshaft flange. Similar to the FJ-40 drive shaft drum brake. It didn't work well and put the aluminum case at risk of cracking.

I'd suggest returning to drums and the OEM parking brake cable. The drum backing plates are still available from Toyota.

Last edited:
Thanks @60Works, appreciate iate it. I should have mentioned i am doing a 1uz swap which necessitated a dana 300 case, no good option for driveline brake...

Jt outfitters (I know of their reputation here) suggested taking their front mounting plate and moving it to the back and going with their Eldorado option. Seems like the cleanest option.

I have a set of HJ61 axles that I am putting under my 55. The axles came with a rear disc brake conversion flange already attached and I was told it would take fj60 discs and calipers...

So I ordered a set of calipers, discs and pads from Rockauto, but they don't fit (I randomly picked 1986 FJ60 parts). The bore in the rotor is too small and the calipers are offset.

I also have the challenge of needing a parking brake for inspection (not a hydrolock, a mechanical brake).

So, let say I am starting from scratch (again), is there a kit being made now that would work? Do the HJ61 full floater axles require different rotors than the fj60?

Any help appreciated - when I searched the threads came up with a lot of old dead links.

View attachment 2460317
Got any pic of the calipers tbat were on there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom