Hj61 AC bezel light has no power (solved) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 12v2w light bulb was burnt out on the AC bezel in my 1987 HJ61. Ordered a new bulb from the dealer and still didn’t work, even when all the dash lights turn on after turning headlights on. Took the bezel off and followed the wires back into the dash and no power to the connector pictured. Anyone know where these “?” wires pictured lead so I can further chase them, hopefully without moving the dash?

The truck is 24v btw…

8EBCFEED-CBA5-4DF0-8E88-A35FC955324F.jpeg

C44D6A9C-4775-4247-8D61-621E43BADFEA.jpeg

I looked at this wiring diagram and decided I don't know how to interpret it, especially the part after the instrument lights where wires go both to ground and to ground via the Rheostat (dimmer). The ground for the HVAC light goes to ground bus "d" which is under the front right pilar. What I notice with that light in particular is there is a resistor used for 24V systems. Maybe that resistor is burned out. Where is it located? IDK.

Good Luck.

1661366068326.png

I looked at this wiring diagram and decided I don't know how to interpret it, especially the part after the instrument lights where wires go both to ground and to ground via the Rheostat (dimmer). The ground for the HVAC light goes to ground bus "d" which is under the front right pilar. What I notice with that light in particular is there is a resistor used for 24V systems. Maybe that resistor is burned out. Where is it located? IDK.

Good Luck.

View attachment 3095865
Wow thanks for that! I’ll try and wrap my brain around it. I know I do not have a dimmer on my cruiser. I’ll check the ground.

If you checked the connector for power (voltage) against a good local ground point, and you did not have power, then the wire ground may not be your issue. With no power coming to the light you need to check things between the batteries and the light, like fuses, etc. But since all your other dash lights work, it must be something special to the HVAC light--like that resistor. I think the other dash lights are 24V too, but this AC light is 12V. I looked through the parts diagrams a little and could not find this resistor. Maybe someone who knows more than me will post up. I would first look for the resistor in the area where the bulb is.

If you checked the connector for power (voltage) against a good local ground point, and you did not have power, then the wire ground may not be your issue. With no power coming to the light you need to check things between the batteries and the light, like fuses, etc. But since all your other dash lights work, it must be something special to the HVAC light--like that resistor. I think the other dash lights are 24V too, but this AC light is 12V. I looked through the parts diagrams a little and could not find this resistor. Maybe someone who knows more than me will post up. I would first look for the resistor in the area where the bulb is.
It was a good ground, I checked it across the fuses. Anyone know what the resistor would look like or where to find it? All I can find on google are the resistors for the ac blower. I’ll take a look on partsouq when I get home and see if I can find anything.

Btw, the part number for the 12v2w festoon bulb is in the pic attached, still available from local Toyota dealer.

6EA09A17-3947-48F2-BB13-76776C5707B5.jpeg

The 12v2w light bulb was burnt out on the AC bezel in my 1987 HJ61. Ordered a new bulb from the dealer and still didn’t work, even when all the dash lights turn on after turning headlights on. Took the bezel off and followed the wires back into the dash and no power to the connector pictured. Anyone know where these “?” wires pictured lead so I can further chase them, hopefully without moving the dash?

The truck is 24v btw…

View attachment 3095335

View attachment 3095336
you need a 24v5w bulb, I just pulled mine out to confirm. The Toyota dealership probably gave you a bulb that fits a fj62, not an hj61.

you need a 24v5w bulb, I just pulled mine out to confirm. The Toyota dealership probably gave you a bulb that fits a fj62, not an hj61.
Interesting! The 12v2w bulb was in there when I pulled the bezel so maybe the PO didn’t know… I’ll hop on partsouq and see if I can find that bulb…and it would explain why my 12v tester didn’t show power. I hope it’s this simple… all my other bulbs are 24v so that may explain it. I’ll test it out and report back, thanks!

Once the power issue is sorted, you can get LED festoon style bulbs, at least in 12v.

The parts diagram does show a 12v bulb for that application for the HJ61s I looked up. I don’t know the OPs exact model variation though.

The 12v use is also supported by the wiring diagram that shows a resistor for the HJ61.

The OP says he has no power coming to the light bulb. He would be able to measure voltage regardless whether 12v or 24v.

If you can find one it is easy to check a different bulb.

1661432290624.png

I tested voltage via a 12 volt light tester, assumed it was 12v since that was the bulb that was in it. I’ll check it with a multimeter to verify which it is.

I'm not an electrical expert. There are 12v and 24v hj61s to make the issue more complicated. However, if you say you have a 24v truck, I'm 99 percent certain that it's like mine then, also 24v, and all my bulbs are 24v.

i have a new idea ?

- the bulb you got from toyota was dropped on the ground or smashed by another part perhaps

- field bench test it and see if it's a good bulb or not ?

- step #1 here , confirm and verify .......

The truck is 24v btw…

View attachment 3095335

View attachment 3095336

whats up here ?

better photos please , there is fuzzy suggestions your wire is severed at the connector you indicate at the top terminal bay ?

- i have 12v-24v LED Combo-bulbs if you in doubt here PM me , but the EWD resister indicates a step-down from 24v to 12v perhaps 🤔

1661510580282.jpeg

The truck is 24v btw…

View attachment 3095335
OK. I need to ask the OP. The first picture in your first post shows the festoon bulb installed behind the heater control facia. Is that a picture of your truck in your current situation. It looks like the filaments are glowing, indicating both that you have some power and the bulb is not burnt out. It does look like it is not bright enough which could mean the bulb is the wrong voltage.

I will test both the bulb from Toyota and the connector on the dash with a multimeter when I get home. I still have to find the multimeter, it was put somewhere in our move.

As for the first picture with the festoon in it, this is just a picture from google to show the bulb I am talking about… Wasn’t a pic from my cruiser, sorry for the confusion.

Hopefully it as easy as turning on the lights and checking for 12 or 24v (if any) across the festoon connectors on the bezel.
OK. I need to ask the OP. The first picture in your first post shows the festoon bulb installed behind the heater control facia. Is that a picture of your truck in your current situation. It looks like the filaments are glowing, indicating both that you have some power and the bulb is not burnt out. It does look like it is not bright enough which could mean the bulb is the wrong voltage.

whats up here ?

better photos please , there is fuzzy suggestions your wire is severed at the connector you indicate at the top terminal bay ?

- i have 12v-24v LED Combo-bulbs if you in doubt here PM me , but the EWD resister indicates a step-down from 24v to 12v perhaps.
The pic is the only one I took. I’ll pull the bezel off again and test it again tonight with the meter when I get my hands on it 👍

i am updating my 10/88 FJ62 this evening with BLUE LED both the panel and the A/C push switch too

if same in kind ill post relevant pics before and after

I will test both the bulb from Toyota and the connector on the dash with a multimeter when I get home. I still have to find the multimeter, it was put somewhere in our move.

As for the first picture with the festoon in it, this is just a picture from google to show the bulb I am talking about… Wasn’t a pic from my cruiser, sorry for the confusion.

Hopefully it as easy as turning on the lights and checking for 12 or 24v (if any) across the festoon connectors on the bezel.
When checking for voltage you can check across the bulb contacts with the bulb removed. But also test each contact against a body ground. This can tell you if you have the supply voltage but no ground on the bulb side.

So when checking across the contacts I get voltage anywhere from 7 to 9v… same when testing against body ground. When I check the cigarette lighter (labeled 24v) I get steady 27v… resistor issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom