HJ61 24V upgrade with 12V system and battery bank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed a REDARC BCDC-1225D with a small battery bank into the rear left interior panel. Here is the wiring diagram and some photos. What do ya guys think? Anyone see any issues?

FN's HJ61V wiring diargram .001.jpeg

View attachment 1829012

IMG_7375-1.jpeg

56282057078__60A44571-925F-45D0-9C7A-BE124CC6519E.jpeg

View attachment 1829015

IMG_7411-3.jpeg

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 12.40.30 AM.png

Im not far off a similar installation. Was thinking about putting the redarc in front of the radiator to keep it cool and the battery under the bonnet on a custom shelf.
It looks like s good installation and cant fault the drawing downstream from the redarc. Does the cable from the front of the truck lose anything due to its length?

I really don't know if it loses anything, not sure how to test that. It was about a 5 meter piece of wire (8 awg) the way I ran it, so should be fine. I haven't noticed the REDARC producing much heat at all. I only have a small amp, head unit, and small LEDs hooked up to it, so it really isn't working hard to keep the 12V batteries charged. I ended up moving the amp under the dash, above the glove box. ( where the old stock DC converter went) I moved it from where the picture shows. pain to get in, but cleaned up nice

Last edited:
THIS is really nice. I was thinking about the same setup but could not get my thoughts together about the wiring diagram and all that stuff and I really need to have everything prepared nice and clean before I start. I'm still a newbie so for me this is really helpful information.
Have you tried running a 12v Fridge? My only concern is the position of the redarc because of heating issues. How's it been working so far? Any upgrades or thoughts you can share now with the system running over a few months?

Thanks!

Meaning you have another 24v bank set-up as well on the back?
If all runs smooth, which it wont as always, our plan is to head up to Norway next year, but only up to Trondheim. Don't know how north are you located, but I'm sure those 24v come in handy!

Meaning you have another 24v bank set-up as well on the back?
If all runs smooth, which it wont as always, our plan is to head up to Norway next year, but only up to Trondheim. Don't know how north are you located, but I'm sure those 24v come in handy!

Yes, another 24v aux battery.

I'm about 1100 km more North of Trondheim , at Prestbakk, Salangen. 24v is the s*** in the cold 👍
What will your route be?

Yes, another 24v aux battery.
interesting.
Route is still tbd but we'll start somewhere down in Langesund getting there with the ferry and all probably going mostly following the coast line, going in and out of the Fjords, and enjoying wild camping.
We only have 3 weeks, which is not much for such a beautiful country. The idea would be to take back the ferry from Bergen to Denmark and then head home.

I have had zero issues. I've done 3 different cross country trips. Had her running for 15-24hrs straight. No problem. Have not hooked up a fridge though, not sure how many amps that would draw. But all the 12v power comes from the battery bank and the REDARC simply charges those batteries, so as long as your not drawing faster than the REDARC charges, should be OK
THIS is really nice. I was thinking about the same setup but could not get my thoughts together about the wiring diagram and all that stuff and I really need to have everything prepared nice and clean before I start. I'm still a newbie so for me this is really helpful information.
Have you tried running a 12v Fridge? My only concern is the position of the redarc because of heating issues. How's it been working so far? Any upgrades or thoughts you can share now with the system running over a few months?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom