HJ60 Voltage Regulator and Parasitic Drain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Issue: When engine off, car parked, have 70mA electrical drain on battery coming from fact that 15yo Aftermarket External Voltage Regulator is staying "clicked on" whenever Battery connected. 1984 HJ60 wagon 2H diesel 5sp manual in pretty standard spec., left hand drive (Australia).
Hi, new here, happy Landcruisers to you all. Help please if you know something relevant. Having fun time learning some auto electrics. but just not there yet!!
Have been disconnecting battery when parked for any length of time else battery runs down / flat. Otherwise car starts and runs fine. When battery connected always have 12 volts live to "thicker" White wire and "thinner" White/Light Blue wire that enter Regulator. It is when power goes through the "thinner" White/Blue wire that causes VR to "click on". Remove that power and VR clicks off. If relevant, car has had preheat timer disconnected a manual pre-heater "Button" installed - works great, don't know if relevant to this issue. Please ask for further info if needed. 2 photos of VR attached. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

IMG_20210624_152454.jpg

IMG_20210624_155429.jpg

someone else on this site just had a gremlin, found a relay on the kick panel that had rotted from water leaking down from windscreen pillar

i Have NON-USA AU Spec. and Global Spec. 6 wire square Plug NipponDenso OEM regulators available

12v

PM me please

thanks

i Have NON-USA AU Spec. and Global Spec. 6 wire square Plug NipponDenso OEM regulators available

12v

PM me please

thanks
Thanks Matt, have looked on net for new Regulator, found 3 different ones that possibly suitable, what's yours, am thinking a newer style integrated circuit one might be better/more reliable over time than original one with electromagnetic mechanical relay and regulator.

Thanks Matt, have looked on net for new Regulator, found 3 different ones that possibly suitable, what's yours, am thinking a newer style integrated circuit one might be better/more reliable over time than original one with electromagnetic mechanical relay and regulator.

mine would ALL be OEM Genuine NipponDenso Type & style ........100% MADE IN JAPAN

the one you have above that failed was NOT a OEM Genuine NipponDenso Type ...........

hence why it failed

Keep it OEM

Keep It REAL ..........

Lastly , a OEM one is generally VERY water resistant if not water tight to a maximum amount limit too .......fyi

1625383202535.jpeg

Last edited:
mine would ALL be OEM Genuine NipponDenso Type & style ........100% MADE IN JAPAN

the one you have above that failed was NOT a OEM Genuine NipponDenso Type ...........

hence why it failed

Keep it OEM

Keep It REAL ..........

Lastly , a OEM one is generally VERY water resistant if not water tight to a maximum amount limit too .......fyi

Hi Matt, thanks for your quick reply, excuse me if this gets a bit long but a) am new here and b) don't know a lot about what am talking about (hahaha, am learning). So, do u know anything about my first question posted, is my current Regulator stuffed? Must admit it looks totally shabby. Note: have looked at Alternator on car ... it's a NipponDenso Toyota unit, pretty shabby looking so assume it is the original Alternator, only thing done on it is renew Brushes about 10 year ago, so in total the Alternator would be 37 yo. Now .. if I have my terms rights, is the Regulator you sell old style Tirrill or newer IC type and should I consider a really new setup of completely new Alternator with Built in Regulator. Where are you located, I near Coffs Harbour NSW, how much $$ for the Regulator u recommend. Thanks heaps, Dave. PS: dunno if this is a PM, if not dunno how to PM yet. For a laugh - I am older than my HJ. Thanks.

Hi Matt, thanks for your quick reply, excuse me if this gets a bit long but a) am new here and b) don't know a lot about what am talking about (hahaha, am learning). So, do u know anything about my first question posted, is my current Regulator stuffed? Must admit it looks totally shabby. Note: have looked at Alternator on car ... it's a NipponDenso Toyota unit, pretty shabby looking so assume it is the original Alternator, only thing done on it is renew Brushes about 10 year ago, so in total the Alternator would be 37 yo. Now .. if I have my terms rights, is the Regulator you sell old style Tirrill or newer IC type and should I consider a really new setup of completely new Alternator with Built in Regulator. Where are you located, I near Coffs Harbour NSW, how much $$ for the Regulator u recommend. Thanks heaps, Dave. PS: dunno if this is a PM, if not dunno how to PM yet. For a laugh - I am older than my HJ. Thanks.

your fine........

Welcome to MUD .......

posting photos of your alternator over all one and ones of the back side where the plug and ring terminals go is desired here for sure

this is a example of a OEM original regulator , external type remote mounted

your current one is a local auto parts tore version of something very cheap and scary too .......

it died because of water leaking inside it looks like ?

Getto would be a good term

here is the type of regulator you will need , however until i see your current alternator photos up cose and in detail , this is only a SOLID example pic ....

do you follow me here ?

Honesty and plainly spoken

these JAPAN NipponDenso type remote regulators were state of the art heavy duty technology back then and still are indeed your bect option today in 2021

there is no other way to look at it or over think this topic

4239A73C-DAAA-4245-B4A6-1CEF79263B34.jpeg
03D20B94-8291-4424-87E8-C7C111F3C82D.jpeg

Honesty and plainly spoken

these JAPAN NipponDenso type remote regulators were state of the art heavy duty technology back then and still are indeed your bect option today in 2021

there is no other way to look at it or over think this topic

View attachment 2721476
your fine........

Welcome to MUD .......

posting photos of your alternator over all one and ones of the back side where the plug and ring terminals go is desired here for sure

your current one is a local auto parts tore version of something very cheap and scary too .......

here is the type of regulator you will need , however until i see your current alternator photos up cose and in detail , this is only a SOLID example pic ....

do you follow me here ?

View attachment 2721477

your fine........

Welcome to MUD .......

do you follow me here ?
Thanks again Matt, no don't follow u here, don't follow anyone, should I, we call that "stalking" over here in Oz (ha, ha). your reply above and photos fantastic, thanks. So is your business VintageTeqParts.com in USA? Ended up at that site when Googled Skunk Works Mechanical Laboratory. That looks like a fantastic business ... you sure got some great stuff for the enthusiast. Appreciate your stating water may have stuffed my existing Regulator, and thanks for the big laugh by suggesting it looked like a ghetto (if i got that joke correctly?). How much $$ is the one u suggest, and shipping to Australia. Do I go to your website if want to follow up further or talk with you here? Thanks heaps, Dave

Thanks again Matt, no don't follow u here, don't follow anyone, should I, we call that "stalking" over here in Oz (ha, ha). your reply above and photos fantastic, thanks. So is your business VintageTeqParts.com in USA? Ended up at that site when Googled Skunk Works Mechanical Laboratory. That looks like a fantastic business ... you sure got some great stuff for the enthusiast. Appreciate your stating water may have stuffed my existing Regulator, and thanks for the big laugh by suggesting it looked like a ghetto (if i got that joke correctly?). How much $$ is the one u suggest, and shipping to Australia. Do I go to your website if want to follow up further or talk with you here? Thanks heaps, Dave

NO.

no no no . 😆

do you follow me means in ToyotaMatt lingo : Do You Understand what i am saying in TECH TAlK ..............🤣

what we are discussing is a highly technical topic , i was making sure u understand ?

i can go way over board in a technical nature come sometimes and loose somebody in understanding a tech topic here in TECH CHAT ?

now " Do you Follow what i am saying ?
:D

denso qualty.png

Ahhh, thankyou, yes 100% understand everything you have said. Thanks.

ToyotaMatt, luv your use of emojis, apology for any frustration caused :bounce::bounce2::bang::steer:
ToyotaMatt, gotta go for tonight, thanks for your help, will get back to site for a look tmoro, do i communicate with you further through here or via VintageTeqParts.com or other? :cheers::clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom