Hj60 swinging steering wheel at 50km (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I have a 1987 hj60
When I reach the 50 km per hour my front wheels / steering wheel starts shaking.
As soon as I reach 60 it’s over.

I replaced all the tierods and steering damper.
Springs are 1 year old

I run 35 mud tires. Live remotely n Costa Rica

I adjusted the steering box, there was like 2 cm slack in the arm.

I thought that solved it, but now it’s worse.

There is a little slack in the wheels moving them vertically. Ball bearing?

Any advise on where to start looking?

Thanks!

The wheel bearings may be loose. Easy to tighten them up. There should be zero play in the wheel when trying to rock it up and down.

In addition to the wheel bearings..

• Check that the four bolts holding the steering box are still tight to the chassis
  • Have you done the "rock test"? Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth as you lie under the vehicle and check for any slop in movement on all components.

The wheel bearings may be loose. Easy to tighten them up. There should be zero play in the wheel when trying to rock it up and down.
thanks!
Left wheel was rocking up and down. tighten the bearings.
Stil wobbling, but a little less.
Thanks!

In addition to the wheel bearings..

• Check that the four bolts holding the steering box are still tight to the chassis
  • Have you done the "rock test"? Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth as you lie under the vehicle and check for any slop in movement on all components.
Thanks, I will do that rock test.
I do feel like there is slack up and down in my steering wheel

By feel and using a load meter to confirm preload. My question is, did you install proper bearings or the 'they fit' wheel
bearings with a possible wrong angle for the purpose. If so they will not last as long. The proper bearing has a defined
angle to the bearing race since it's a lateral load, not a perpendicular load.

By feel and using a load meter to confirm preload. My question is, did you install proper bearings or the 'they fit' wheel
bearings with a possible wrong angle for the purpose. If so they will not last as long. The proper bearing has a defined
angle to the bearing race since it's a lateral load, not a perpendicular load.
Ok.
I am not sure, the po did it. He has a shop and has worked wit a lot of Landcruiser’s, but then again that doesn’t say anything.

I’ll start with the rock test and checking the wheel bearings and the knuckle head as a last resort.

I’m running 35” mud tires so that with have his impact

I run Toyo MT 285/75R17's on mine. Basically 34" and they are a very heavy tire. Mine is smooth as silk at 75 mph
after 125K miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom