HJ60 Superglow controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone. I know superglow has been done to death and I have searched my heart out but I cant seam to find a good answer to my issues. There seam to be some knowledgable heads here and I am chasing some detailed info on superglow, especially the glow controller.

Loooooong story short but I have a HJ60 with a 2H running superglow. Its an Australian original 12v truck. And before anyone suggests it yes I know about the wilson switch idea but I really dont want to go down that route just yet.

I have recently done a complete rebuild of the engine after the PO damaged a piston and sold it on to me in bits. I replaced all the glow plugs, the bus bars and the sensor bracket when I did the rebuild. Its also got brand new batteries, a rebuilt alternator and I had all the engine earths re-done. The glow system has been working completely fine over the last few weeks of having the truck back running and its starts and purrs like a kitten.

However last weekend when I was returning from a 2hr drive I noticed a faint burning smell from the engine. I stopped and checked everything but nothing was obvious. I only had a few mins to get home so I carried on. At home I check everything again and still found nothing obvious. A few hours later I went to move the truck in my drive and noticed that when I went to start it the glow light did not come on. The truck started fine but straight away I heard a loud repetitive clicking sound. I popped the hood with it running and found the noise was coming from the Glow Relay. I felt the relay and it was definitely clicking like crazy. I turned it off and have been trying to find the issue ever since.

One other thing to add to the mix is that at the same time I noticed my charging volts were low on the dash gauge. I put a multi meter on the batts and it was only pumping out 12-12.6v at best, so not really charging at all. After getting the alt re checked we have worked out the voltage reg was buggered, which im waiting on a replacement for now.

A couple of other attempts to start the truck have given varied results, most times the glow system seams to work fine. But once its idling the relay will start sporadically clicking again, especially worse when you give it a rev.

My initial thought was the relay was toast but ive had that tested and its fine. I have done some diagnostics and found that the glow system seams to be working as it should, im getting 7-8v-ish on the plugs for the initial glow, then the relay clicks off and the after glow happens. As above once its idled for a few mins the relay starts clicking.

I figured it must be the glow plug timer. Which I have been attempting to find a replacement for. Which is where my headaches begin. Mine is a H12V and I cannot for the life of me find a replacement controller, they are rare as hens teeth and the ones I do find are all 24v. I managed to find what I was told was the right controller from a wrecker but when it arrived it was stamped as a B12V. After a bit of research I found this is off a BJ45 running a 3B motor. (Told you id make a link).

So after that novel here are my questions.
Would the sporadic relay clicking be caused by the controller being toast or could it be something else?
Do you think the controller of the 3B motor would work? Its the same plug but I am apprehensive to try as I dont want to **** any of the system....

As I said I really dont want to go to a wilson switch as I am trying to keep the truck as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Cheers.

Have you charged that battery up to full? A chattering relay usually means it's not getting enough voltage. If your VR was trouble then the resulting low battery voltage could do that. Check that before replacing expensive and rare parts...

If you have super glow then there should be 2 glow relay's . Pre glow and after glow. So which relay is clicking ?? If you only have one relay then it is the older glow system or one relay is missing.
Timer for a BJ45 has a different partnumber ,so there is certainly a difference. Maybe just the fact that BJ45 never had superglow ??

nz60, it would help to know the year of your truck, the part numbers (Toyota and ND) of your pre heating timer, and if you have the factory repair manuals. I can email you PDF excerpts from my wiring diagrams and the Toyota diagnostics chain for the 3B superglow system if you need them.
My experience is only with the 3B system, however on the factory wiring diagrams I have, the superglow systems are wired identically in both the 4 cylinder applications and the six (2H).
Terminal 7 on your Pre heating timer is connected to terminal L , on your voltage regulator (along with inputs from your automatic transmission controller, if fitted, and your fuel filter (sedimenter) warning light/switch. So your pre heating timer may be affecting your voltage regulator, or your voltage regulator may be affecting your timer....
You definitely need to get the regulator sorted, find out which relay (glow or after-glow) is chattering, and what caused the burning smell. Something overheated and was potentially damaged, wiring, terminal connector, relay, resistor,... you need to find and correct that, it’s probably all tied together!

Have you charged that battery up to full? A chattering relay usually means it's not getting enough voltage. If your VR was trouble then the resulting low battery voltage could do that. Check that before replacing expensive and rare parts...
Thanks Freewheel.

Yes I did wonder if that may have been a contributing factor. I will get the new VR and Alt back today and ill see what results I get so I can tick that off.

If you have super glow then there should be 2 glow relay's . Pre glow and after glow. So which relay is clicking ?? If you only have one relay then it is the older glow system or one relay is missing.
Timer for a BJ45 has a different partnumber ,so there is certainly a difference. Maybe just the fact that BJ45 never had superglow ??
Thanks sved

Im 90% sure its the pre-heating relay. The black square-ish one that bolts to the guard next to the starter relay. Correct me if im wrong but the after glow relay is the cylindrical one?

I have done a bit of research and I think some of the 3B's did have superglow? Again maybe im wrong. There is a bit of info on this forum which started my curiosity if this B12V controller might work. 3B Glow Plug Timing Issue

nz60, it would help to know the year of your truck, the part numbers (Toyota and ND) of your pre heating timer, and if you have the factory repair manuals. I can email you PDF excerpts from my wiring diagrams and the Toyota diagnostics chain for the 3B superglow system if you need them.
My experience is only with the 3B system, however on the factory wiring diagrams I have, the superglow systems are wired identically in both the 4 cylinder applications and the six (2H).
Terminal 7 on your Pre heating timer is connected to terminal L , on your voltage regulator (along with inputs from your automatic transmission controller, if fitted, and your fuel filter (sedimenter) warning light/switch. So your pre heating timer may be affecting your voltage regulator, or your voltage regulator may be affecting your timer....
You definitely need to get the regulator sorted, find out which relay (glow or after-glow) is chattering, and what caused the burning smell. Something overheated and was potentially damaged, wiring, terminal connector, relay, resistor,... you need to find and correct that, it’s probably all tied together!
Thanks Roalco, this is exactly the kind of knowledge I was hoping to tap into.

My truck is a 1985 HJ60 2H Manual 5speed G spec 12v. Aussie new.
The part number on my original timer is H12V 28521-68040 (ND 078400 - 0791)
The part number on the replacement timer is B12V 28521-58080 (ND 078400-2751)

As I said this is exactly the info I need. Knowing that my VR was poked and with your knowledge that its all interconnected makes me think it might not be a controller issue after all.

I have the batteries on charge and I get the new VR today. I will plug everything in and see what happens. I have a voltmeter on the plug bus to keep tabs on it as I really dont want to fry my brand new plugs.

I will report back. Cheers again!

Round one is main relay.
Square one is after glow.

I bypassed the super glow system with a Wilson switch and my 24v HJ60 cold starts much better. In my opinion, the super glow system is a overly complicated system for a simple truck. The Wilson switch works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom