HJ60 Starting weirdness, battery? starter? relay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if any of you more experienced diesel heads can help me understand this weirdness:

Ok, a couple weeks ago I noticed the truck was a little slow on the turnover at startup...the usual dying battery deal. Pulled both batteries, topped them off with purified water and had them slow charged up at the Autozone. It got super hot here in Texas and the batteries got cooked, fluids were low, but they took the charge and I didn't wait until they were totally dead. One battery is getting near to the end of it's stated 3 year life but still it apparently took the charge. One of the negative battery terminals is cracked, but it still makes contact with 90% of the surface area of the terminal so np right?

Later in the week after, upon the first start after a couple days of not driving, I glow fully, turn it over and it fires up strong but is running super rough and there is a loud, unhappy noise coming from the engine area. I jump out, pop the hood and detect that it is coming from the area of the starter, EDIC motor or thereabouts. It is a sound like metal on metal, something spinning ( starter/solenoid?) and screeching, scuttling, not good.

I shut the truck down and this is the weird part-- it keeps running for a few long seconds, fuel is still flowing it seems, and then finally shuts down.

Upon restart, she fires up fine, no screeching, everything is normal.

This has happened once every 5 or so starts now for like a week. Additionally, I am now also experiencing on some start attempts a click, the edic goes into start position, but then nothing. no turnover, no nothing.

This has happened twice now, I check the batteries (good), connections (good except for that crack maybe), tap on the starter, hook up a jump box, all to no avail. Start to get really pissed off and ready to give up, then it turns over just fine and runs normal.

So what the heck is going on? These two scenarios are totally random it seems and intermittent. Is the starter going out/binding up? Is it a relay?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

more info

ok, pulled the batteries again. checked fluids, fine. i figured maybe the older battery was failing so as a test i switched the batteries from one side to the other. i'm not sure what's hi/lo side but the older one was on the passenger side (LH drive) and the one connected to the starter.

so, having made %100 percent sure that i am positive cable to positive terminal and negative to negative terminal on all connections. i try to start 'er up.

it turns, flash of smoke, i immediately stop and go look. the passenger side negative terminal, the one with the cracked terminal and connected to the newer battery (1.5 year old) has melted and blown the connector apart!

anyone?

p.s. am i asking really stupid questions here or something? wondering because post after mine are getting hundreds of views and responses and nobody has a word for mine?

For ANY electrical stuff. The number one issue is good contact so if the terminal is questionable replace it. I had hassles with my '82 BJ60 and it was terminal related as well.

thanks c_g, just did that. have i ruined the battery now that part of the terminal has melted? is it safe to try again with my new terminal on there?

I am not good with electrics, but I would also suggest that the batteries are dead/dying.
lso make sure the ground and the contact to the starter are good and clean.

fusible link? anyone?
j

thanks jan, replaced the terminal, hooked it all back up in the original position with the older battery on the starter/passenger side. fired up fine.

i think the gap in the connector caused an arc that melted part of the terminal. i think the older battery might be going bad, or maybe they both got cooked to hard in the texas heat...anyways i'm running with the replaced connector and will just have to see if that takes care of the intermittent starting problems. deffo won't head out across the border without a backup battery...maybe two!

Solenoid contcts

Hi
Going back to your first post when the engine started and ran really rough. I had the same thing happen with my BJ70. The starter keeps trying to start the engine even after you turn the key to the run position. When I turned the key to the off position the engine kept running but really rough. The problem is in the starter solinoid. The contacts have degraded to the point that they "weld" in the closed position. When the solinoid contacts are in the closed position the starter motor tries to start the engine. For background info on how to repair this go to www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/.
My local toyota dealer did not show a part number for the contacts. They would sell the whole "magnetic switch" for over$200. I went to a local steel supplier (Metal Supermarket in Canada) and made my own set of contacts from a piece of copper bar. very inensive. This is a very typical repair on 4Runner /mini truck starters as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom