Builds HJ60 Snow white (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello and greetings from Finnland.

I took the courage to put up my project now. I got a bit more hopefull on that it will some day be ready because I got one big thing done. Later you will find out what that thing was.

And the story of my Toyota.

I found a cassette deck once from a old cowhed. I collect old car radios so I got excited about it. I got it free to my collection. I said that it would be nice to have cable harness for that radio so I could test it. I was told that the car still excists where the radio once was. The I got an offer to buy the whole car. I was not interested. But after a couple of months I got excitedd about it. So I thought to take a closer look at that car. So one sunny autumn day 2015 we went to see what the car was. And there she sat behind another old cowshed. It was 8 years since the last drive.

I felt so pitty about a old Cruiser that had been left to rot so I had to buy it. It is a -89 car. I am the third owner. It has 389tkm on the clock. The next day I got it "home"
First away from the bushes.

Then to its new home.

A week from that I started it and drove around the yard a bit, washed it and started to wait on a new "garage" to be ready.

Couple of interior pictures.

So after christmas I moved it to the new garage and started to pull it a part.

I thought it would be enough to just repair sills and thaths it for the body. I was wrong...

The roof is useless. I had a little break to think about the future and the result was.

So that is what it looks like today. Now I need to start to practice the welding. I have welded 2 times before in my life so I have something to practice on. But it looks like promising now that the car will be ready some day. That is all for now for my first post. I will continue updating when something happens on this project.

Images are visible. What a find :rofl:. Still hoping that one day I'll run across an old abandoned cruiser.

Cool project. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a HJ61 with 12H-T?

NIIICE welcome Suomi!!! So that's what Finland looks like in summer? I only got to see it in December for 2 weeks, 24 years ago! I rode a train from Helsinki to Roveniemi...It really is a beautiful country you guys have there. Say hello to Santa for me. tell him I have H55 on my list this year and I was a good boy. keep up to good work on the 62!

Images are visible. What a find :rofl:. Still hoping that one day I'll run across an old abandoned cruiser.

Cool project. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a HJ61 with 12H-T?
Nope. It is a HJ60 with 2H. We have quite many of theese here in Finland. Many state owned like defence forces, border controll and other institutes. This one is rarely civil owned family car from new and allso 6 persons. Not many 6 pers. registered Cruisers left anymore either.

Exciting project! Great job with the roof swap so far! I personally love the giant tractor and trailer used to bring it home! Awesome :D

You are awesome! Good luck on the project.

How is the chassis because mine was bad but yours..., that is very close to junkyard.
Good luck but if you like the HJ maybe find a better one? (I would not have listened to that so I dont expect you to) but this will end up expensive.
Rear wheel arch and below doors and chassis rot is normal but yours is rotten between the doors, it qualifies for the mother of all rust.
The brown donor car looks pretty good?

if you want manuals I have them here: hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - HJ60 Model/Parts finder,maintenance PDF 1000 pages

some metal, I bought the wheel arches and pressed the part under the doors:
TOYOTA LANDCRUISER J6

replaced, welded, fixed myself and I paid to much, probably you did not pay much :D
Now almost 100k kilometers later.
file.php

file.php

Last edited:
How is the chassis because mine was bad but yours..., that is very close to junkyard.
Good luck but if you like the HJ maybe find a better one? (I would not have listened to that so I dont expect you to) but this will end up expensive.
Rear wheel arch and below doors and chassis rot is normal but yours is rotten between the doors, it qualifies for the mother of all rust.
The brown donor car looks pretty good?

if you want manuals I have them here: hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - HJ60 Model/Parts finder,maintenance PDF 1000 pages

some metal, I bought the wheel arches and pressed the part under the doors:
TOYOTA LANDCRUISER J6

replaced, welded, fixed myself and I paid to much, probably you did not pay much :D
Now almost 100k kilometers later.

Thank you for your opinion. I suppose you have not seen other finnish 60 series. Yes mine has some rust damage, but no holes in wheel wells that you seem to have. I know it is expensive, but I have gathered all the sheet metal parts I think I need, allso one more spare body. That brown roof donor body was way gone from something usefull. The roof was only that could be used to something. The other spare body is otherwise usefull but floor is allready welded here and there and has some holes still in the floor section.

Chassis is a bit mystery still for me. But that I will see when I lift the body from chassis. And what comes to finding a better one... it is not easy to find a Cruiser here in Finnland that is still passenger car registered and under 600tkm on the clock. And if you find one it is not near to be cheap. And all are rotten because salt in winter time.

A bit of time to get the motivation back and something done today.

I started to take away useless sections of the sill I am going to fit on the car.

I started to get rid of the old sill. This a-pillar bottom looked good before I strated to strip the paint.

And nothing really good to say about the sill either. And this should be the better side.

B-pillar bottom was in better shape. I had to cut a piece away so I could drill out the spot welds.

At last the old sill and some rotten parts remowed.

Luckily I have spare bodies to cut pieces from to this project.

This weekend I got to spend some quality time with the HJ. I had planned to change the end of one crossmember under the body and got it done.

First some jig making to ease the positioning off new part.
_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

Away with the old part and rust.
_img1280.jpg

Then some weld through primer.
_img1280.jpg

And in wit the new part.
_img1280.jpg

Next step is to jump on this other one.
_img1280.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Pretty well is an understaitment. That looks OEM :clap:.

A little update. Frame has been in sandblasting a while ago. Some small fixes before another blast and primer.

Some bodymounts are dismantled and the rear cross beam. And off course these reinforcements from the rear.
_img1280.jpg

Rivets are PITA to remove. Luckily all are removed now that has to be removed.

Then some sandblasting and primer.
_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

And the gearbox has been allmost three months at service. Hoping to get it home soon. A bad bearing had ruined counter axle, nothin else seemed to be wrong with the gearbox. So the axle will be fixed and all new bearings and seals goes in.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Just saw this thread! My two favourite parts is the 'India' style tractor trailer rig to bring it home. But the best
was there is an old truck sitting for 8 years - and a week later you are driving it around, WOW! :cool:
I like your body work repairs, you have a good eye for it. I'm curious about Finland being so rusty, do they
use lots of salt/slury on the roads in winter or is just no one did any kind of undercoating back in the day.
Same thing in parts of Canada.

Tractor was the best alternative and it was only one hour drive one way. Trailer has a winch for the bed so it was easy to first winch the car on the bed and then the whole package on the trailer. And for the corrosion, main reason is salt. And it is used (or was used) also in summer time on gravel roads for keeping them a bit more dust free. So when it rains you get the salt even in summer time. Some did and does undercoating. Back in the day it was usual to spray waste oil, old frying oil, chainsaw oil, you name it, under the car. My grandfather made an oil spray device from a old bike pump. Took it a part and replaced rubber seals with leather and then used it to spray oil under his car. We finns do find a solution for everything :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom