1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hj60 ironman suspension for a BJ60..will it work?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by haryv, Aug 14, 2006.

1. haryv

haryv

I came across a ironman suspension kit that will work for my bj60 but want to know is how much more roughness will my truck expect from this kit because it belongs to a hj60? The company has no kits for the BJ60 and the price is right. I know the bodys on both vehicles are the same so the suspention will work.

Since the engine is heavier in the HJ60 over the BJ60 should this be taken into consideration?

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    The differnce in engine weight will only be marginal .
    I cant see it affecting the springs.
    If it did there are ways of softening up the springs

3. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

go for it, then you have a little extra for a big bumper :)

It should be exactly the same....but could be wrong. If anything you won't get the silly sloop forward some kits give. You should be level.

4. wobble

wobble

although I do not have a diesel, I do have some helpful info-
    I had a similar question regarding the c rated springs and my fj60, so I emailed the tech manager at ironman and they advocated for the c rated springs for a petrol 60 running accessories up front and if the ride was too stiff, she recommended removing a leaf from the front packs.

5. haryv

haryv

Just ordered the springs for the HJ60

Brownbear and others.

Usually my other half gets pissy about spending money like this but in this case here back cannot handle the old warn out springs. This should help substantially. I would like to do this on my own to save money as I am looking for better work. To bad I was not part of a club could use a lift to take off my springs and help somone else out.
    A shop near by gave a quote of 250 dollars for all springs removed. If I dont do this my self then this would be the best deal for Surrey/Delta?

6. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Be warned ,new springs take a while to soften up but it will still be kinder to your back than the old ones.

Is that a quote to remove the springs only or to do the whole job?

7. clbuff

clbuff

Hi,

I´m looking for opinions about IRONMAN suspension, what about ride quality and durability?
    I have an FZJ 80 and I´m not sure about going for the IRONMAN or the OME?

8. haryv

haryv

Rosco, Im sure it was a complete install.

This was mostly a special deal. I talked to somone whos fauther knew the shop owner. All I had to say was "Hi Mr smith refered me to your shop and wanted to get a quote for a spring removal and install" and I got a pretty good deal. That was months ago so I should speak to him again. Should I remove the springs my self I would have to rent a 2 ton floor jack and use the iron jacks to hold the truck up. I hear that the nuts that secure the axle to the springs can be rusted on so tight it would almost require a acetalne torch to get them off. Anyone care to comment on this?
    Anything else needed to get them off other then all the tools that I own? BTW, how are these springs shipped? Are thay shipped on a pallet in a box or? I was thinking of sending them to Puyallup where I could pick them up on the way back from oregon. My po box in blaine would take them but charge 30 bucks so why bother.

9. mac

mac Crew Member

You'll need penetrating fluid at the very least and you should soak the nuts and bolts and pins daily for a week prior to dismantle. Or, as you said, use a torch. I torched my bushings as well. If you let them burn for a minute or two and then blow them out they turn brittle and will come out easier. $250 sounds like a decent deal- I'd go that route and save a face full of rust flakes. Make sure the shop puts the correct spring on the correct side. If you search the 60 forum you'll find much on this. Have fun!
    Oh, by the way, the Ironman setup is not as plush a ride as you might hope. Better than broken springs but nothing compared to Old Man Emu. If you find it too harsh after it's settled in, drop a leaf in the back. They sit higher in the back by quite a bit anyway- sort of Daytona-rakish looking.
    Cheers,
    Peter

10. haryv

haryv

mac will use pentrating oil btw, a few more Qs

I read that the old man emu springs ride allot nicer because they use anti friction pads. Anyone care to comment on what they look like and how they work?

I got a private message that sounded a bit strange on how another hj60 owner softened up there ironman springs. Basically the person said they broke the tips off the springs to soften the ride. I think what he was saying was to grind the spring corners round?

When I do the R&R change out.
    In my mind I will have the body on truck jack stands and the front or rear axles Diff setting on a heavy floor jack. Unbolt the springs and slowly lower the axle clearing the springs. As long as the axle does not move then there should be no alignment issues afterwards unless there is some kind of alignment pin on the axle that aligns up with the springs. Remove the springs and then put in the new ones. Install the axle to the springs and install new ubolts. I have done lots of auto repairs in the past but never a leaf springs. Looks simple. I guess the issue is with the possibility of seized nuts on the old ubolts. Other then that it should be strait forward.

Does the hj60 kit coming from truck liquidations come with new shackes? My hj60 ironman order on ebay does not show shackels contradictory to someone else saying they do. Can some one confirm this?

11. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess shortening each spring gives less support to the one above and allows it to flex more easily and I cant see why i wouldnt work.

What you get depends on whether you ordered springs or a suspension kit.

Anti friction pads?? Probably nylon spacers in between the leaves like my Dobinsons.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">