HJ60 Electrical Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This was originally posted in the 60 section but they recommended I also post here. I inherited a 1987 HJ60 (diesel, 5-spd) and need advice. It was my dad's truck and it means a lot to keep it on the road. My dad had driven it every couple of weeks around the farm and had just put in 2 new matching batteries before he passed. About a month had gone by before I got to it and found the lights had been left on so it wouldn't start. I had it towed to a garage and asked them to charge the batteries, at the same time I told them it was a 24-volt diesel. They called me a couple of days later and said it was arcing when they tried to connect the batteries and I needed to come get it. They claimed they didn't know it was 24-volt. I had it towed to another garage to have the electrical looked at since I didn't know what damage may have happened at the first shop. They are going to look at it but currently have it up on a rack until their electrical guy comes back in a couple of weeks. My questions are what are possible causes of what happened and what do you think might be causing it to still not start?

Can you provide more information.. is it actually turning over?

Its its turning over but not starting you now likely have an "EDIC" fault.. pop the rod off thats shown below (spring loaded clip each end) and see if it starts.. you'll have to stall the vehicle to stop it without this rod in place though.

1595215711650.png

If the thing isnt even turning over I'd be looking at Fusible Links and the Starter Relay which is housed on the right hand inside fender behind the airfilter box.. find a different garage as well, a simple No Start fault on this vehicle would be pretty straight forward to trouble shoot.

A decent mechanic would have looked at the 2 batteries and wondered if it was 12v or 24v. Total incompetence right there. And even my 15 year old battery charger shuts down if I have something wrong.
But I doubt they would have done much damage.
You can still recharge them as 12 v batteries separately.
You could charge them yourself and take them back and try a restart.

Can you provide more information.. is it actually turning over?

Its its turning over but not starting you now likely have an "EDIC" fault.. pop the rod off thats shown below (spring loaded clip each end) and see if it starts.. you'll have to stall the vehicle to stop it without this rod in place though.

View attachment 2377459

If the thing isnt even turning over I'd be looking at Fusible Links and the Starter Relay which is housed on the right hand inside fender behind the airfilter box.. find a different garage as well, a simple No Start fault on this vehicle would be pretty straight forward to trouble shoot.
It's not turning over. I'll pass on the info about the links/relay, thanks!

A decent mechanic would have looked at the 2 batteries and wondered if it was 12v or 24v. Total incompetence right there. And even my 15 year old battery charger shuts down if I have something wrong.
But I doubt they would have done much damage.
You can still recharge them as 12 v batteries separately.
You could charge them yourself and take them back and try a restart.
They don't see 24v diesels around here and thought it was a 12v system with the extra battery to run other items with the vehicle turned off. Plus I think they had a junior mechanic taking care of it since it didn't require much experience. They were wrong.

I don't know anything about LC or diesels but have ordered some books/manuals and plan to start learning about working on the vehicle myself. I'll also run searches on the forum to see if there are any mud approved garages in the area that can help when I'm in over my head. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom