HJ60 cold start issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that the weather is a bit cooler, my 1987 HJ60 (2H - 24V) needs at least two glow cycles to get going.

This is the scenario:

- Cool morning
- Cycle glow plugs
- Glow light goes off
- starts fine, (no smoke)
- runs for 5-7 seconds @ 650RPM, stalls (relay on the passenger side clicks)
- Re-glow, starts
- runs for 5-7 seconds @ 650RPM, stalls (relay on the passenger side clicks)
- Re-glow, starts, keeps running... off to work I go.

So, time to debug...

New oil (Rotella 15-40) and Toyota oil filter.
I changed the fuel filter, drained the water separator, bled the lines.
I checked the glow circuit; 3-4 sec at 21volts, then down to 10-11 volts for a few seconds, relay on the passenger side clicks.
All glow plugs are good, all have resistance.

Check the fuel pressure sender.
When engine is off, it reads ~30ohms. (pretty much a dead short) When engine is running it reads "open" (infinity)
I could not tell how fast it goes from 30ohm to infinity... regardless, the engine was a little warm anyhow.
When I grounded the oil pressure wire I can duplicate the 5sec run and stall. (so that part of the edic circuit is working correctly)

I'm going to try and disconnect the wire in the morn and see if it starts.
If it does, then its sender related.

so, I suspecting that:
a) the engine when cold take s amore than 5 seconds to build enough pressure at the sender,
b) faulty sender when oil is cold/thick.

As anyone experience this?

Would turning up the cold idle rectify this?
Should I pull the hand throttle a click?
Install a new sender?
different oil?
or?

Thanks

Mike

Idling too low.They should be idling at 700 min,but 800 wouldnt hurt. I believe its kinder on the alternator and ps pump to have them runing a bit faster.

It might be something else but it doesnt come any cheaper than turning the idling up

Could be oil pressure sender telling edic to turn it off... Replace the sender and see if there is any improvement?

And as said, your idle speed is bit too low, should be around 1000rpm with for cold start...

When starting cold I usually use the hand throttle to idle to 1000 rpm to get it warmer before take off. I also have a wilson switch (manual glow) so I glow longer on colder days.

Could be oil pressure sender telling edic to turn it off... Replace the sender and see if there is any improvement?

And as said, your idle speed is bit too low, should be around 1000rpm with for cold start...

this.

oil pressure is not coming up fast enough. Check the connection and make sure you are running proper weight oil.

I had some success this morning. The temp this morn was 5deg.

- I plugged the Oil pan heater in overnight.
- I did two glow cycles
- I held the RPMs upon start up at 900-1000.

That seemed to do the trick and it did not stall upon startup.

FWIW, I'm running new Shell Rotella 15-40w
I checked all the connections on the sender (as mentioned above)

Basically, I've narrowed it down to the oil Pressure Sender turning the edic off (as designed).
Either the oil is too thick in the morn fooling the sender or the sender is faulty.

the 15-40 should be fine. I use it down to -30 without issues. I know this sounds silly but is the oil topped up?

I had an old HJ60 that ate oil, when it was down about 3L it would act as you described.

I would try cleaning the sensor in diesel fuel?? maybe there is a bit of sludge in it that is causing it to react slowly to the oil pressure? Just an idea.

Last edited:

- I did two glow cycles

Basically, I've narrowed it down to the oil Pressure Sender turning the edic off (as designed).
Either the oil is too thick in the morn fooling the sender or the sender is faulty.

What kind of temperatures do you usually come across? If you're constantly seeing temperatures below -10c i would immediatly change the oil to something more suitable... I myself use 5-50w all year around but then again i see temperatures below -30c occasionally and it can stay well below -20c for months...

So, check your oil before doing anything drastic...

I also have the edic switch off if I keep it at 650 rpm when cold.
Just rev it slightly when cold, 650 is fine when warm and is FSM number.

With 15w40 and 10w40 I had this and it increases when the oil level lowers and gets around half way on the measure stick.
Sometimes the engine stalls and in the same second starts again, or if you throttle at the right time it stalls and continues running.
My engine has about 250 k but I don't see a reason to rebuild the oilpump.

What kind of temperatures do you usually come across? If you're constantly seeing temperatures below -10c i would immediatly change the oil to something more suitable... I myself use 5-50w all year around but then again i see temperatures below -30c occasionally and it can stay well below -20c for months...

So, check your oil before doing anything drastic...

Our winter temps are mild, usually just below freezing at night and 5-8c in the day so the 15-40 should be fine here all year round. The plug in oil pan heater on the few -10c morning will be fine to keep the oil runny.

Try adjusting your idle up a bit, I had to adjust it when I first got that truck because it was idling too high (1000rpm). I bet if you set the idle too 700-750 your would no longer have this issue. I can come over and show you if you like.

:cheers:

- I did two glow cycles

Or your engine idle is too slow. The engine just needs some rpm to build up the oil pressure to stop it cutting out.
The min is 700 and 750 for the auto.
This is one of the reasons diesels have a hand throttle.
Engines that have done 300000+ are always going to have a slower oil pressure build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom