HJ60 build up/restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As promised, here is the thread about the HJ60 restoration, done at westcoastcruisers.org in San Diego. There are a number of pictures of the base truck on the website (http://www.westcoastcruisers.org/WCCFS_84HJ60.html). Westcoastcruiser is Michael's (aka tlcruiserman) club. Michael has a fully equipped garage in the San Diego area, and specializes on Toyota Diesle Land Cruisers.
Without his help, I would still be trying to get the first tie rod off. Therefore, thank you Michael, for the countless hours you are spending on this, teaching me the basics to the complicated!

The truck:
1984 HJ60, sold originally in Honduras to the Italian Embassy there. The second owner's daughter brought it with her into California, when she moved here.
LHD, 12V
H55F 5 speed manual
4.11 gears
high roof
full floater rear
factory limited slip rear
factory chrome split rims
40:60 split front bench
power doors, every thing else manual
A/C

The truck was in bad mechanical shape when Michael purchased it. The engine had overheated badly, had terrible compression, and was blowing oil out of every hole. It either needed a rebuild, or a new engine. We decided on the latter, and picked up a low mileage 2H engine from Marv Specter. The engine will be turboed with a kit from TurboGlide.
The axles were leaking, the brakes were frozen/useless, the suspension was very tired, the electrics were very shady, the relay rod was bent...basically everything needs to be overhauled.
The good: The truck has very little rust. Eventually she'll get a new paint job, probably in toyota blue.
I'll post pictures about the renovation so far, and update the thread as we go along-work on this is being done on the weekends only.

Here is the basetruck-very dirty inside.

Last edited:
the engine compartment, notice all the oil everywhere.

Last edited:
Parts coming off...note the rusted radiator support at the passenger side bottom-the truck must have been hit there at some point, and someone did a bad repair/weld job.

Last edited:
The future owner-my wife Gina-cleaning oil encapsulated parts, and finally the pulled engine, with me in my weekend cloth.

Last edited:
Note the clean engine compartment!
Welding in new metal into the bad spots, and Gina grinding the welds.

Last edited:
Rear axle/brake rebuild-check the terrible condition things are in.

Last edited:
Looks like you two are certainly getting into your work ;).

Not sure how far of a restoration you plan on... but I would shoot the engine bay with a fresh coat of paint while you are at it.

Cool truck... and the history that it has.

rear axle after cleaning/rebuild...

Last edited:
gnx7 said:
Looks like you two are certainly getting into your work ;).

Not sure how far of a restoration you plan on... but I would shoot the engine bay with a fresh coat of paint while you are at it.

Cool truck... and the history that it has.

It is a bit more work than I expected, but one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.
I decided not to re-shoot the engine bay, since it would have taken so much timne to take everything out. The bay is dirty, but not rusty. The goal here is to get the truck in perfect mechanical shape, and I am willing to make sacrifices on the looks.
cheers,
Jan

steering linkage rebuild, front axle...Thanks to Wes for the rebuilt hubs!

Last edited:
How she sits with the new suspension, and rebuilt driveshafts...

Last edited:
Transfer case rebuild-in parallel with one of Michaels. Note the brown sludge everywhere-I assume the PO was not aware that these fluids need to be changed sometimes. Every bearing and seal was replaced.

Last edited:
Tranny reassembly, and Michael, the Master, himself.

Last edited:
Resurfaced flywheel on the 'new' engine, and sliding rear windows.

Last edited:
The plans for this weekend and the following: Put in the new clutch and reassemble the drivetrain. Then prepare the engine for the turbo, and stick it back in (first without turbo).
I will update the thread as progress is made.
Jan

Wow.. That looks great Jan!! Kudos to the wife workin on her rig too. Nice to see pics along the way. :)

Hi Jan,
It's great to see your truck after hearing about it at Surf-n-Turf. I have the white high roof HJ60 that was parked right above your bj70. I look forward to your build-up as it will be very informative. best of luck,

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom