HJ60 brake issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, I’ve tried searching for weeks but can’t find a answer.

I’ve got an Aussie HJ60 with 2H and having some dramas with the brakes...
I’ve had the rear drums machined with new shoes and cylinders, new front rotors and pads, fitted an 80 series duel diaphragm booster and a new 60 series master cyl, I’ve bled the system many times, adjusted the rear shoes correctly and the brakes are still a bit scary.

Basically what happens is I have great braking on the first push of the pedal then the second push the pedal goes real hard and brakes are poor.
After a few pumps the dash brake warning light comes on but the reservoir is full.

I’m thinking there is still air in the system somewhere and maybe an issue with the booster, vacuum line or pump behind the alternator ??
I’ve just bought some 2005 Hilux calipers to replace the stock items as I initially thought a piston has seized in the original calipers.

Do you have a clutch booster? I had similar symptoms and it was actually my leaky clutch booster that was bleeding off my brake vacuum and making my brake pedal hard to press but weak in braking power...
Disconnect and plug your clutch booster and see what happens.
If you have no clutch booster, it still sounds like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere..

If you upgrade to bigger callipers you will need a bigger master cylinder.
Have you also bleed the weight balancer? In the middle under the truck were all the brake lines go.

yes, bleed the LSPV under the truck as well, although, I doubt that that is your problem. I think you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Haven’t found the problem yet but I suspect the front left brake caliper is faulty as when I brake hard it pulls right, I’ve bought some 05 Hilux calipers to replace with new hard lines and flex lines so will see if that makes a difference, I’ve checked for vacuum leaks and it all seems ok. Appreciate the help so far 👍

If you upgrade to bigger callipers you will need a bigger master cylinder.
Have you also bleed the weight balancer? In the middle under the truck were all the brake lines go.

A bigger master isn't always needed. Try the calipers and see how the pedal feels first.

Vacuum leak sounds likely too.

Bleeding the master can be difficult. Bench bleeding is often necessary because the pedal doesn't push the piston to its stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom