HJ47 troop carrier (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
I bought this troopy on a whim a few weeks ago and discovered MUD soon after. Thought it was time to contribute.

I was looking for something older that I could work on with my son who will start driving soon, something that should have parts available, something that can access the many beaches, islands near where I live and definitely something that my son won't be able to burn any rubber with. I was thinking about an old hilux til I saw this!

I am the 3rd owner. The first was Telstra where it was used as a vehicle for surveyors out west, the second the nice bloke around the corner who had it for about 25 years before he sold it to me for a song! He tells me it's done around 500,000k's, "clock says 300,000 but that stopped working 10 years ago".

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189382.347782.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189463.603160.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189491.145251.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189551.532090.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189574.926636.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189622.061125.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415189836.049129.jpg

It's pretty much all original. Registered as a 3 seater, I don't think it ever had rear seats but I've found some and they bolt straight in. It has aircon ( not working) which I understand was dealer fitted and feeds straight into the vent / heater unit. It had a winch which apparently mysteriously disappeared between the time the bloke bought it at the Telstra auction and when he went back to pick it up. Body is very straight with not a lot of rust. It has some pretty serious metal work front and back, a second tank and a cargo barrier.

I don't plan to do too much. Tidy it up, keep it original and go camping and fishing.

Already learnt a lot about the troopy here on MUD, but lots to learn.

Pete

Mate it looks like a great starting point

Hi Pete,

Do you by any chance live towards The Gap? I think I might have passed you the other day, and thought it looked like a good troopy.

Hope you and your son have fun working on the truck.

Looks pretty good !

I wonder what song was you had to sing ?

:cheers:

Mate it looks like a great starting point

"starting point"!? I thought I was almost done!

Hi Pete,

Do you by any chance live towards The Gap? I think I might have passed you the other day, and thought it looked like a good troopy.

Hope you and your son have fun working on the truck.

Yep - thats me.

Looks pretty good !

I wonder what song was you had to sing ?

Well I'm not much of a singer but he took it anyway.

Here's some of the bad bits...

rear LHS of tub bed and sill

2014-11-05 17.13.14.jpg 2014-11-05 17.13.19.jpg

RHS corner window and roof join

2014-11-05 17.15.07.jpg 2014-11-05 17.15.14.jpg

bib (is that what its called?)

2014-11-05 17.21.10.jpg

Well welcome to the madness !

You will enjoy it a lot

:cheers:

very nice...

Hi Pete, welcome to the mud.
Looks a nice troopie. Little bit of rust but that can be fixed. I just finished my exarmy HJ47, it took about 1 & 1/2 years but well worth it.

I dig the motivation to hang with your boy. Nice one. And cool history.

Thanks Aussie's

Is that the soft top? Are you going to finish your thread on it? i was enjoying that one til it suddenly ended

oops sorry Aussie - got my soft tops mixed up. Yours looks great! There is another Australian based build thread that i was thinking of that ended abruptly.

I dig the motivation to hang with your boy. Nice one. And cool history.

Thanks cult - I might have a few Q's for you when you pick up the wheels next week?

Haha, well spotted :grinpimp:
..and I'll help any way I can. Home Tuesday.

Well we tidied up the rear of the troopy and put the cargo barrier and seats in over the weekend. Bit of a bodge job on the floor, I'll have to do some hole/rust repair some other time.
2014-11-08 12.26.12.jpg 2014-11-09 12.48.09.jpg 2014-11-09 12.48.27.jpg 2014-11-09 13.29.10.jpg

The seats are not a complete set. The rear RHS has a different folding mech and sits a little higher. Its probably from a SWB.

This troopy was complianced as a 3 seater. I will need to get a certificate from a Main Roads approved dude to get it registered as an 11 seater. All I need now is seat belts (and some luck) to get that done.

You'll need a mod plate, but I know an engineer that can do that.

Yeah, I spoke to a local approved engineer who thought it wouldn't be a problem, but if you know someone...

I do and he's a good fella. I'll bring his details on Wednesday.

Its looking good. When you get the blue tag, it might pay to get thr cage added on the same tag and save a drame later.
I just gat a ute done that has a tipper ,fitted from new 1996 and they wanted a tag for that.

So we went to the beach today. I must say I was a little nervous about it but all went well. In fact the troopy cruised through some spots where a lot of newer vehicles got stuck. Found some roof racks on gumtree and put the awning on.

View attachment 965671View attachment 965672View attachment 965673

Thanks Aussie, yes the barrier will no doubt gain attention from a compliance person, but I like it there so good idea to make it official.

On the console Geoff... One of the speakers stopped working today so I reckon I'll be getting a much closer look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom