HJ47 radiator with a 12HT question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Michael B

SILVER Star
Threads
In 2017 I completed my 78' 45 build where I installed a 12HT as part of the complete frame off rebuild.
I used a Champion aluminum radiator and with some modifications it fit ok and has worked well thus far. But now after 11k miles the radiator is weeping in several places. I want to disarm this ticking time bomb before it strands me and possibly causing damage to my engine.

I need to know if an original style HJ47 copper and brass unit will fit in my 45. My main concern on fitment is getting the bottom hose to fit with my stock PS pump setup. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Will I need to modify the bottom outlet?

Thanks,
Michael <><

Yes the bottom outlet will need modification, an almost immediate 90deg bend upwards and towards the right hand side of the vehicle.

Last edited:
1568841941784.png

Thanks! That is what I thought it would need. I had to do the same thing to the aluminum radiator.

So what did Toyota do about this issue when they put a 2H into a 45/47 with power steering or did they never install power steering on those trucks?

Thanks! That is what I thought it would need. I had to do the same thing to the aluminum radiator.

So what did Toyota do about this issue when they put a 2H into a 45/47 with power steering or did they never install power steering on those trucks?

I've never seen an HJ47 with Factory Power Steering.. and I've seen a LOT of HJ47's. I've checked my parts manuals and I cant find any diagrams of HJ47's with power steering fitted. They might exist, but I can't find any documentary evidence for an HJ47 with factory Power Steering.

Last edited:
It is a bit of a unicorn apparently. I have never seen one either but I bought the motor mounts from one with PS to use on my build.

It is a bit of a unicorn apparently. I have never seen one either but I bought the motor mounts from one with PS to use on my build.

Maybe.. but its more likely the right hand side mount you've obtained was from an early HJ60.. these work in 47s.

I had 60 series mounts and the were significantly different. The mounts I used were sold to me as 45/47 series mounts.

I had 60 series mounts and the were significantly different. The mounts I used were sold to me as 45/47 series mounts.

Maybe :) Its important to remember that early 60s series mounts do work on 47s.. they did change later and subsequently can't be used in a 40 series.

I'll keep digging.. some documentary evidence would be cool.. I've asked a couple of mates, if I dig anything up I'll let you know

Maybe :) Its important to remember that early 60s series mounts do work on 47s.. they did change later and subsequently can't be used in a 40 series.

I'll keep digging.. some documentary evidence would be cool.. I've asked a couple of mates, if I dig anything up I'll let you know

I think the big change was around 1984, the 60 series got a big makeover that year

Wasnt there some kind of warranty?

There is a warranty on the core only, which is where it is leaking, but I had them move the inlet for an extra $100.00. So I would have to buy a new radiator, pay them to move the inlet again and then wait to see if they honor the warranty. NO THANKS!

BJ45s did too, but it was a (pricy) option in Europe, this is the reason many don't have it...

====
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored, 4E9 Toyo beige, 5spd factory tranny
1983 BJ45 resto project

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom