HJ47 Pickup - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey IH8Mud,

I guess this is my first real post here. I've been following the forums on and off since I was linked here from a Jeep forum of all places (I believe it was regarding a tailgate swap build, but can't recall exactly, it was many years ago). I used to own a 2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon but sold it in 2016, and I'm starting to get that itch again. I always wanted to build a Brute or something similar to that, and I have a friend with an 80 series who's been talking up Toyotas, so I've been watching for some 40-series pickups (though have also been considering an MWB FJ43). I recently came across this post for an HJ47 up in BC:

It doesn't look like it's been posted up here anywhere yet, and I was hoping to get some more opinions on it.

I emailed the owner earlier this week, and his initial response was to call him but I was out with friends, and when I got home I saw that later in the evening he responded:

- He's not the first owner, didn't answer my question about how many it's had. He bought it to "build it up" according to the ad, but then in response to my questions said "I’ve had it many many yrs and had planned on restoring it"
- Truck has been stored for "many years" in his shop (no actual date which is frustrating)
- Unfortunately his shop is 2 hours from Vancouver (north of Whistler; sounds like he lives/works in Vancouver), so he can't take any more pictures at this time.
- He "starts it every few months or so"
- Front bumper was removed after it was parked and sand blasted; I assume unpainted since he didn't say anything else about it
- Original box was removed and stored outside so not in the best shape
- Exhaust stack was hanging free after box removed, so he cut it off, so it is "loud" and may need some exhaust work to be legal to drive
- He changed the fluids this winter but my question "What fluids were changed this winter?" was just replied to with "yes I changed the fluids this winter when I was up there last", so vague answer and sounds like he hasn't been up there in 6 months
- "Cab paint is very old, probably original" (you can see some rather large spots where it's peeling and rusting on the left door)
- Cab floors are not rotting (would love some photos)
- Has 200,000kms or so (vague, but maybe it is just over or under 200k; hard to be sure)
- He forgets what he installed in the stock radio's place (I asked because I'd like tunes for the drive home :p )
- Tires are older; probably still okay but dusty and dirty
- no smoking once warmed up

My thoughts so far:

- Owner has given me a lot of vague answers to my questions and unfortunately he can't get any more photos for a bit. That vagueness could be for many reasons, but makes me feel like the truck is not in the state it's being described as.
- Box needs to be mounted to get taillights on for it to be street legal to drive. He has no interest in installing the box as is, but maybe as a condition to buying it I could convince him to help (plus I'd have a friend drive me up there).
- Exhaust would need to be fixed
- My friend with the 80-series lives in Vancouver, and he has a reputable shop he goes to there, so I'm sure I could take it in to get some work done, but I'd need to get it there first.
- I would need to import it to WA state (I'm in the Seattle area), and need to do more research on the process for that, but I assume it would need to be at a minimum legal to drive level, unless I wanted to trailer it.
- Price seems very high for not having more photos and information.
- Supposedly the Aqualu pickup box is worth about $5000 shipped, I didn't confirm that.
- I have no idea what the value of the H2 (I'm assuming it's an H2?) engine adds to the truck vs. an F series, but I can't see it being more than $3k - $5k
- RHD kind of detracts from the price a bit, as most people in North America would prefer LHD

I'd love some more opinions (maybe you know the truck and or owner? that would be great!), but I'm thinking at this point my next steps are to just leave it and ask him to take a lot more photos next time he's up at his shop and to send them my way.

Thanks!

"I am recouping my costs that I've spent thru the years"

seeing the bondo flaking off the cab, I'd probably pass at that price.

No way in a million years am i going to travel somewhere and drive home a 40 series in unknown condition. That can go for any 40+ year old vehicle, the rubbers are badly perished after that long and brakes are never satisfactory either. The engine is a 2H, a 4L diesel. Completely unremarkable and slower than a hybrid Camry in reverse. The Hj47 is the ultimate in the 40 series world as far as a traybacks go unless you particularly like some of the early models body styling and dash (fj45, petrol only).

The 2H diesel is probably worth a fair bit more in the states compared to Australia, where we can pick up a running 2H for as little as $400. The other benifit of the hj47 is the factory tacho, which imho is a desirable piece.

In summary, if you are going to get into a 40 series, go into it expecting to be at the very least 20k deep excluding initial purchase price, by the time it is running and driving good enough to be a reliable, safe daily driver. Oh, and pictures ALWAYS make it look better than it is.

Hope that helps🍺

The tires are bald and apparently "many, many years" old so there's no driving it home. Other than that, whether it's worth purchasing or not is really more about you, your time and your money. But, as said above, don't even think about buying it without seeing it yourself.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with advice / opinions so quickly!

No way in a million years am i going to travel somewhere and drive home a 40 series in unknown condition.
The tires are bald and apparently "many, many years" old so there's no driving it home. Other than that, whether it's worth purchasing or not is really more about you, your time and your money. But, as said above, don't even think about buying it without seeing it yourself.

Agreed; I've only purchased local vehicles before, after checking them out in person. If I don't know the model very well I work with the seller to get the vehicle to a reputable place for an inspection (and meet them there for the results and to split the cost / whatever deal we come up with) before making any offers. I never purchase a vehicle without seeing it in person.

The other benifit of the hj47 is the factory tacho, which imho is a desirable piece.

In summary, if you are going to get into a 40 series, go into it expecting to be at the very least 20k deep excluding initial purchase price, by the time it is running and driving good enough to be a reliable, safe daily driver.

You know in all of my time looking through photos and learning about the FJ40s the lack of tachometer never stood out to me. I'll keep that in mind!

I've got about 30k set aside for this project right now, though was hoping to find something in the 15k - 20k range purchase price so I can some buffer for repairs / customizations / upgrades. I am hoping to find something drivable in it's current state so I can drive it for a while to get a feel for what I'd like to change in the future without having to make any major decisions about engine swaps or similar now. I'm not really looking for a project car, but something that I can piecemeal upgrade and repair along the way.

Then again I can't count the number of times I've heard “Always buy the nicest example of an old car you can find/afford, in the long run it’s usually the cheapest option.” from friends.

I don't really care about paint, patina, etc, as long as it's mechanically strong / will survive for a few years and the frame, floor pans, and rear corners are in good shape (all of that together is probably a pipe dream though).

You can do a lot better at that price point. Just keep searching.

That's my hope! I'll keep watching the classifieds to see what comes up! Thanks!

I think I spent 3 years shopping for my 40. I looked at a lot of them and figured out what I like and what I don't from each year. When I finally found a vehicle in the right year range and in a condition I could deal with I absolutely overpaid for it. Every few months I see one with better sheet metal for a better price and I get a little mad at myself. The thing is, I knew what I wanted and I got it. Yes, I paid to much but I had done a good job of setting my budget and compartmentalizing that budget ahead of time. I paid more than I should have for the purchase price, but not more than I had for the purchase price.

To make a long story short, I think the seller is asking an awful for lot for that HJ47 in the condition it's in. They are unique, and that probably does make them more valuable, but there's a lot more value in good maintenance and record keeping than there is in rusty sheetmetal and dry rotted rubber.

It's "unique" or uncommon only insofar as it is here in North America, but it is in Canada, so it will still require import paperwork into the United States (easily done, not particularly expensive, but still needs to be done).

That truck in Australia is < $10K AUD, and it would probably cost you between $4K - $5K USD to get it to the US (it cost me about $3K ten years ago).

The HJ47 Utes are a dime a dozen on Gumtree and probably carsales.com.au. The long bed (styleside, as they call 'em) are much less common. If you value the Aqualu long-bed body that is said to be a part of this sale, you can factor that into what the value is.

I agree with the general consensus that for what this is, you can do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom