HJ47 import (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello out there, I am new to this forum. I live in CO and would like to import a HJ47 for personal use from Australia. Has anyone done this? What hassles should I be aware of? Any ideas on the best way to ship it?

Thanks

I can put you in touch with the guys that I got my Bj44 from.. I am waitng on one last thing before I can plate it and drive it more regularly.

Where in CO are you?

Hello out there, I am new to this forum. I live in CO and would like to import a HJ47 for personal use from Australia. Has anyone done this? What hassles should I be aware of? Any ideas on the best way to ship it?

Thanks

Do have a vehicle lined up? Best way to ship it is in a container.
Not all shipping companies that go the the US visit all the aussie ports.
Once you ave found a shipper its just a matter of taking it to them and they will prepare it for shipping
The vehicle should be washed including underneath and no parts or personal effects should be in the car.
I think a 47 series is about 12 cubic metres( 1.6x1.7x4.5)

Your shipper should handle these items and include the cost

Australian Port charges
Register you with Australian Customs
Wharf Security clearance
Australian Customs Clearance
Shipping Documentation
Ph / fax / tolls
US Homeland Security Documentation

You will have to deal with these items or similar below when it gets there

Long Beach Port Charges
Long Beach Terminal Handling Charges (approx US$ 15.00 per cbm)
Shipping Delivery Order (US$ 65.00)
US Customs Clearance
US Quarantine Clearance
Duty / Sales tax if applicable

Last edited:
I live in Steamboat and the cruiser is a 1982 HJ47 with a tray back and diesel motor.

Thanks for the information. I purchased a 1982 HJ47 tray top located in Perth during my last visit. It is getting a few repairs done to it (plenty of parts there) before I ship it over. I will ship it next year when it turns 25.

Do have a vehicle lined up? Best way to ship it is in a container.
Not all shipping companies that go the the US visit all the aussie ports.
Once you ave found a shipper its just a matter of taking it to them and they will prepare it for shipping
The vehicle should be washed including underneath and no parts or personal effects should be in the car.
I think a 47 series is about 12 cubic metres( 1.6x1.7x4.5)

Your shipper should handle these items and include the cost

Australian Port charges
Register you with Australian Customs
Wharf Security clearance
Australian Customs Clearance
Shipping Documentation
Ph / fax / tolls
US Homeland Security Documentation

You will have to deal with these items or similar below when it gets there

Long Beach Port Charges
Long Beach Terminal Handling Charges (approx US$ 15.00 per cbm)
Shipping Delivery Order (US$ 65.00)
US Customs Clearance
US Quarantine Clearance
Duty / Sales tax if applicable

Thanks for the information. I purchased a 1982 HJ47 tray top located in Perth during my last visit. It is getting a few repairs done to it (plenty of parts there) before I ship it over. I will ship it next year when it turns 25.

That would be a HJ45 ,I think only the troopy was a 47 series;)

From what one shipper told me ,if the height is under 1.6 or 1.7m(I cant remember which) the price is lower.
Maybe some car wheels would do it:D
And of course removing towbars and bullbars makes it shorter and thus reduces the cubic volume;)

Got any pics of the 45 and where did you buy it?

That would be a HJ45 ,I think only the troopy was a 47 series;)

From what one shipper told me ,if the height is under 1.6 or 1.7m(I cant remember which) the price is lower.
Maybe some car wheels would do it:D
And of course removing towbars and bullbars makes it shorter and thus reduces the cubic volume;)

Got any pics of the 45 and where did you buy it?

The HJ47 is basically the same as the 45 but it has a larger (2H) diesel. It does have the same wheebase as the troopy and has a 1 ton rating.

I bought it from a private party in Perth while I was there for $2,000. There is 183,000 k on the clock and the motor and drivetrain are in great condition. Right now it is having some rusted parts replaced with better ones from a salvage yard and then it will have a few spots cut out and replaced with metal.

Thanks for the tip on removing the bull bar. If I put it in the tray will there be any issues with customs?

I should have some progress pictures available soon. How do I post or get them to you?

John
69 fj40 that I learned to drive in
82 Hj47 that I will learn to drive from the right side in!

The HJ47 is basically the same as the 45 but it has a larger (2H) diesel. It does have the same wheebase as the troopy and has a 1 ton rating.

I bought it from a private party in Perth while I was there for $2,000. There is 183,000 k on the clock and the motor and drivetrain are in great condition. Right now it is having some rusted parts replaced with better ones from a salvage yard and then it will have a few spots cut out and replaced with metal.

Thanks for the tip on removing the bull bar. If I put it in the tray will there be any issues with customs?

I should have some progress pictures available soon. How do I post or get them to you?

John
69 fj40 that I learned to drive in
82 Hj47 that I will learn to drive from the right side in!

After a bit of research I think I may be mistaken. Did the 1982 HJ45 come with a 2H diesel? If so, thats what I bought.

cheers,
John

HJ= 2H diesel. Or maybe H.

After a bit of research I think I may be mistaken. Did the 1982 HJ45 come with a 2H diesel? If so, thats what I bought.

cheers,
John
It certainly did.
180000klms is low for that model and year.
I have a preference for the tray tops,
Less body= Less rust;)

I dont think the bullbar will be a problem if its well secured so it cant move around.

Postings pics. You need to have them resized under 80kb. When you press Post reply ,there is a "manage attachments" option.
That will bring up a box with "browse" .That will open your files up and then you need to find your resized pic and then "select"

Last edited:
There is a guy in Miami that does this and sells them on ebay. I got mine from him, and it was exactly as advertised. I would buy from him anytime. There is one on ebay right now from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom