hj47 front end disc brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello all. i have a hj47 with drum brakes on the front end. i have recently bought a hj75 and i want to put the disc brakes in it into the hj47. im a bit of a dopey fella :hillbilly: so i need to know everything that i need to take out of the hj75 for the conversion. someone told me i had to change the master cylinder? and its easier to change the whole axle than just the brakes? it would be much appreciated if someone told me what and how to do. thanks.

Don't know much on the 75's, but yes, you do need a different master when you switch to disc.

Shawn

You'll want the swivel hubs, you can take them off reasonably quickly, plus you'd probably want the master cylinder for the disc braked 40/45/47s. Better to disassemble the swivel hubs and put new bearings and seals in than to adapt the 75 series front axle housing. There's detailed instructions on swivel hub and wheel bearing overhaul in the ellerys, or even better, Toyota Factory service manual.

can i use the master cylinder off the hj75? and do i have to change the brake booster too? or is that part of the master cylinder? i really am a beginner at the mechanics. i have already converted the 47 to power steering though. a reply would be most appreciated. Thanks, Alec

I would've thought that the master cylinder would be different between the 47 and 75, I might be wrong though.

I have a HJ45, but with a 2H and a 5spd, so almost a HJ47...:)
As far as I understand you need the master cylinder beacause piston diameter etc. on the master are different between drum and disc brake cars.

Could'nt you post some pics of your truck? And what kind of power steering have you done?

hj47 power steer

heres a few pictures of the power steering. this should be the cut away of the shock tower so the power steer box can fit. then the 60 series pump is bolted on the front. if you need more pictures send me a PM as i have a limit on
ih8mud on how many pictures i can send.
Cnv0007.jpg
Cnv0009.jpg
Cnv0010.jpg

Last edited:
So you run the same setup as the 60 series, but from a 75 right?
You guys get all the good stuff, I haven't seen another 40 series here in 3 monthes, and no 75 either.... Years ago we still got them, but they have been either cut up or sent to Africa...

Last edited:
the pump is from a 60 series. the draglinks from a 75 series. i think the power steer box is either from a 80 or 100 series. there are 2 shafts of steering column, the steering wheel end is 30.5 inches long (you have to weld the hj45/47 spline for the steering wheel) and the power steering box shaft is 500mm (im going off memory here). youll need a nylon bush to go in the firewall, i cant remember the size. the pump bolts straight on, but youll have to grind a little off the rh engine mount. youll have to make a small bracket that is part of the engine mount bracket. the battery box will have to be cut away a bit to take the steering column. by the way mine is right hand drive, yours could be different im not sure.
if you need some pictures contact me as i have some of the conversion, but nothing fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom