HJ47 5 speed swapped rear slip yoke play, what slip and spline to get? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I was feeling a clunk if i didn't shift perfectly for a while and checked it today. theres good play in the slip yoke in the rear. Its an 82 hj47 with an h55f in it. I didnt get the shaft built so I know nothing of what the slip yoke is from. like if it was on the h55f when the po put it in. or if the slip yokes are sort of universal. so I can either find a new slip yoke and splined end, or a used shaft?

Is the play in and out of the slip yoke or as you rotate it against the splines. Latter is no good. Former is ok because you need some play for axle travel. I would grease yoke and ujoints it first and see if clunk goes away.

Is the play in and out of the slip yoke or as you rotate it against the splines. Latter is no good. Former is ok because you need some play for axle travel. I would grease yoke and ujoints it first and see if clunk goes away.
oh yeah she slips, thats good. but no, the play is side to side. like the splines are not tight. I greased it up good last night but there is too much play for grease to solve. I reread my post and its little unclear what im asking. Im wondering if anyone knows what slip yokes I can use on my setup. like since its an h55f in and hj47 that normally has a 4 speed, does the 4 speed and the h55f accept the same slip yoke? or should I be looking for a slip yoke form an hj60 or hj75? any insight will be great. thanks

wanted to also add, it seems easy to find oem slip yokes of all kinds, but the splined part. as poth splined parts are likley worn Ill need the splined end too, but that doesn't appear to be a part? so I have to buy a whole new shaft? am I correct about this? I thought id be able to buy slip yoke with splined end and get my shaft rebuilt with new yoke parts. am correct here?

Toyota driveshaft slips are all the same spline. find another toyota shaft that has a good slip and the correct flange and swap both onto your existing shaft or get another shaft with a slip in good condition that has the same flange. Steve at EBI has lots of d-shafts you could use for rebuilding yours . I have quite a few as well but I'm on the island. I wouldn't worry if they are not new. d-shafts slips generally don't wear out that fast.

Read on a FB site in Australia that the 60 series four speed rear driveshaft works in a 45/47 series when a five speed is added. Because of the possibility I might add a five speed to my 45 I purchased a couple used 60 series rear driveshafts. One of each length. Early four speed and later four speed with a dummy spacer on the back. Could measure the early driveshaft in case you want to see if one of those would be worth trying to find in your area.

Read on a FB site in Australia that the 60 series four speed rear driveshaft works in a 45/47 series when a five speed is added. Because of the possibility I might add a five speed to my 45 I purchased a couple used 60 series rear driveshafts. One of each length. Early four speed and later four speed with a dummy spacer on the back. Could measure the early driveshaft in case you want to see if one of those would be worth trying to find in your area.
@Living in the Past thanks for this, I have not heard back yet but I have a feeling EBI, a shop here in Vancouver will have what I need. but if they dont ill get atcha! also, never driven a 40 with a 4 speed but I cannot imagine this one without a 5, so id say dooooooit! highway is great, my tires are louder then the drivetrain at 100kmh

@calen Have this for an FJ40.
P1050218.JPG

The longer length FJ60 driveshaft is for my FJ62 if I decide to replace the automatic transmission with a H55F. The H42 with a split transfer case ànd 3.70:1 diffs is actually not a bad setup. Especially if you put a lower gear set in the split transfer case. If someone offered a H55F counter shaft to use H42 first thru third gears I would buy it. First gear is a lot more pavement friendly than the one in the H41. Can always install lower gears in the transfer case to offset the difference in first gear.

@Living in the Past I dont know, the 4.11 diffs with whatever the h55f ratios are, 1st is almost useless on pavement, im in second before I cross the crosswalk hahaha. on the trail its wonderful. and 5th makes the highway good. feel like I could go 35s with the current gearing and be pretty healthy.

@ceylonfj40nut hunh, maybe i was wrong when i said grease wouldn't cut it. cause i squirted a bunch in and felt no difference at the time. and the play just felt like too much for grease to fix. but feeling it today after having driven it. the play is now super minor to the degree that i would not notice it if i randomly grabbed it working on something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom