hj47 5 speed swap correct transmission mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a 82 hj47 troopy, and it has an h55f in it from a 60. the cross member is from the hj47 as well as the tranny mount. I need to replace the tranny mount but Im having a hard time finding an oem hj47 mount. sites like amayama say "discontinued, these parts might fit though". Does anyone have any experiance in this realm? how much wigglle room is their for using a different model number mount? I have had really really bad experiences with aftermarket mounts on my isuzu, so I want to use OEM. so if anyone could throw some part numbers at me that will work, that would be awesome.

The only difference in the setup between 82 and 83 is the actual center crossmember section was made for better clearance for the front driveshaft. 10/82 when the H55F started all crossmembers changed the same, four speed or five speed. The 60 series H55F would mount the same as a H41/H42 from 8/80 and the H55F from 10/82 on. I noticed the F and H isolator transmission mount is close to the same thickness. The B mount is skinnier.

Part number for the HJ47 12371-68010 NLA. This is the same as the HJ60 up to 11/84 when the bellhousing rotated the transmission.

Part number for the FJ40 is 12371-61020 and shows still available.

BJ42 part number is 1237-58010 and shows still available.

Not sure why the H engine is NLA. The crossmembers and transmission housings are the same. So a F engine isolator should work. I have used ones all three engines in another location. I'm sure I've posted pictures of all three is this section before.

@Living in the Past , ok, interesting, the part numbers I had were a lil different. I had 12371-61030 and 12371-58010 as possible ones to use. the FJ40 one seems to be the cheapest. So as soon as I can confirm that it will work Ill probably cop that one :)

transmission mount: Toyota 12371-61030 (1237161030) INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, REAR NO.1 - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1237161030

Im curious if these are actually different or just changed numbers over the years. I dont really understand how so many models will work if they are not actually all dimensionally the same?

@calen 12371-61030 is for the FJ60 after the start of the 3F bellhousing when the transmission rotated. This angle causes the isolator to change. If your using a HJ47 bellhousing that does not rotate the transmission you want 12371-61020. That part number is good for the for 8/80+ FJ40 and FJ60 until the 3F bellhousing started. Most markets that was 11/84. In the US it was 4/85. Doesn't matter four or five speed the part number is the same.

@Living in the Past ok, so clarifying with the PO. the cross member is from the HJ47, and the mount is too. the tranny is from a 60 and the gear box from a 70. so im not sure where that leaves me, as I think what i need is the original hj47 mount no? if i am just replacing the original? or is there a new part number to replace that but it has the same dimensions?

Not sure the difference between a tranny and gear box. Generally considered the same thing. You calling the transfer case the gear box? I have the transmission and transfer case out of this HJ47RV
wrecked HJ47.jpg

The rubber in the mount ripped in the accident. I also have a H42 from a US market 82 FJ40 and a H55F from a 83 BJ42. All came with the crossmembers. The B engine the isolator is thinner. The F engine is close to the H engine is thickness. The way the H55F and 8/80+ four speeds mounted is the same no matter what model.Land Cruiser it came out of. Even after the 3F bellhousing started the way the transmission mounted stayed the same. It was the isolators that changed. This is why you don't want one from a later vehicle that had the transmission rotated unless your bellhousing rotated your transmission.

@Living in the Past damn, that thing had a bad day. yes I was meaning t-case when I said gearbox. ok, so i am checking with the PO about the year of 60 and the bellhousing, but as far as I know its an h55f from a 60 series (assuming the bellhousing is also) and the t-case form a hzj75. The current mount is the original mount from the hj47. So what currently available mount is there that will closely replace the original mount? that is what i think i need to find.

I dont think OEM is available.. the after market mounts that are readily available in Australia seem fine, I've had one on for 8 years and my Troopy cops more abuse than most (maybe one of the most travelled 40s in Australia), 1000s of klms of very bad corrugations every year and plenty of dune climbs with tremendously chopped out approaches.

The only problem I've found with the aftermarket mount is that the "wing" on the front drive shaft side sometimes needs a good few smacks with a hammer to ensure good clearance from the double carden joint on the front drive shaft.

Eg: Gearbox Mount suitable for Landcruiser 2H Motor to 84 4.0l 6 Cyl HJ47 HJ60 - https://www.allfourx4.com.au/Gearbox-Mount-Toyota-Landcruiser-2H-Motor-to-11/1984-40l-6-Cylinder-HJ47-HJ60-12371-68010

And here's two photos of the clearance issue with the double carden joint.. the "wing" nearly touches the joint, a few smacks with a hammer and good thick punch and it bent it in nicely.

Last edited:
@duncanrm ok, thanks, my past experiences with non oem mounts were not even critique-able as they would last like 3 weeks max. but if you say the aftermarket ones actually hold together then Ill give that a shot. way cheaper thats for sure! thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom